Sketching Locus of arg(z+w^*)=arg(-iw) for Complex Loci Problem

• Thread starter truewt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary, the problem involves sketching the locus of a complex number w that satisfies the condition \pi / 2< arg(z) < \pi, and arg(z+w^*)=arg(-iw). The resulting locus is a line segment in the second quadrant with a slope of tan(3pi/2+theta). The varying position of the line does not make it an area, but rather a family of lines with a given slope.
truewt

Homework Statement

Given that a complex number, [tex]w[/tex], is such that [tex]\pi / 2< arg(z) < \pi[/tex],

Sketch the locus described by [tex] arg(z+w^*)=arg(-iw)[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I attempted this question and got completely confused. I am thinking that the answer is to shade the first and fourth quadrant completely, that's an intuition (although there can be an explanation for this intuition, but I have no idea how to sketch it out online, sorry). But generally, how should I go about attempting this question? Over here, [tex]w[/tex] is defined by a range instead of any distinct line, thus I am getting the problem of carrying this definition over to my solution of the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
By the constraints of the problem, the locus exists in the second quadrant such that the angle it makes at any point with the x-axis is equal to the angle the complex number -iw makes with the x axis. If w is inclined at an angle [tex]\theta[/tex], then -iw is inclined to the x-axis at an angle [tex]-(\theta +\frac{\pi}{2})[/tex].

Yes, so what I was thinking is that is the answer "shade the entire first and fourth quadrant?"

Not the fourth quadrant, because the argument is restricted from pi/2 to pi. Whoa... I wrote a whole post that's missing...basically, it came out to be a straight line segment with the slope tan(3pi/2+theta). y=tan(3pi/2+theta)x is what finally came out. This has to be restricted to the second quadrant, hence its a line segment and not a whole line. Use the eular form of i to get the angle, and since its -(theta+pi/2), the final angle is tan(pi-(-(theta+pi/2))).

Why is it only a line segment instead of an area? Theta takes values between pi and pi/2 isn't it?

Its a line segment because the equation describes a certain family of lines with a given slope. The position of the line may vary, but that doesn't make it an area.

Doesn't the varying of the line make it an area? As in, how do you describe the locus by drawing?

chaoseverlasting said:
By the constraints of the problem, the locus exists in the second quadrant such that the angle it makes at any point with the x-axis is equal to the angle the complex number -iw makes with the x axis. If w is inclined at an angle [tex]\theta[/tex], then -iw is inclined to the x-axis at an angle [tex]-(\theta +\frac{\pi}{2})[/tex].

are you sure its [tex]-(\theta +\frac{\pi}{2})[/tex] and not [tex]\theta -\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]?

Yeah. I am sure. There's a minus sign to consider.

1. What is a locus in complex loci problems?

A locus is a set of points that satisfy a given condition or equation. In complex loci problems, the locus is a set of complex numbers that satisfy a specific equation or condition.

2. How do you sketch a locus for a complex loci problem?

To sketch a locus in a complex loci problem, you can plot a few points that satisfy the given equation and then connect them to form a curve or shape. Alternatively, you can use mathematical tools such as the Cartesian plane or polar coordinates to plot the locus.

3. What is the equation for the locus of arg(z+w^*)=arg(-iw)?

The equation for the locus of arg(z+w^*)=arg(-iw) is |z|=|w|.

4. How do you interpret the locus of arg(z+w^*)=arg(-iw) in terms of complex numbers?

The locus of arg(z+w^*)=arg(-iw) represents all complex numbers z and w such that the argument of the sum of z and the conjugate of w is equal to the argument of the negative of the imaginary unit (i). This can also be interpreted as the locus of points equidistant from the origin and the point (-1, 0) on the complex plane.

5. What are some real-life applications of sketching loci for complex loci problems?

Sketching loci for complex loci problems can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, it can be used to represent the path of an object in motion with changing velocity or acceleration. In engineering, it can be used to analyze electrical circuits or design complex systems. In economics, it can be used to model and analyze consumer behavior and market trends.