Solution of a weakly formulated pde involving p-Laplacian

In summary, the conversation discusses a weakly formulated PDE with a combination of Dirichlet and Neumann boundary conditions. The solution exists in the space of continuous functions and is known to be Holder continuous. To solve this problem numerically, finite element methods, finite difference methods, and adaptive mesh refinement techniques can be used. It is also suggested to leverage existing literature and consider using parallel computing techniques to improve the efficiency of the solution. The ultimate goal is to find a fast algorithm to solve the PDE numerically, even at high dimensions, while considering the known qualitative knowledge about the PDE.
rajesh_d
Let $$f:\Omega\to\mathbb{R}$$, where $$\Omega\subset\mathbb{R}^d$$, and $$\Omega$$ is convex and bounded. Let $$\{x_i\}_{i=1,2,..N}$$ be a set of points in the interior of $$\Omega$$. $$d_i\in\mathbb{R}$,$i = 1,2,..N$$

I want to solve this weakly formulated pde:

$$
0=\frac{A}{N^{d+1}} \sum_i \phi(x_i) (f(x_i)-d_i) |f(x_i)-d_i|^{d-1} + \int_\Omega \phi f |f|^{d-1} +Ad\int_\Omega \nabla \phi \cdot \nabla f |\nabla f|^{d-1}
$$
holds for all sufficiently smooth $$\phi$$.

In the space of continuous solutions, the solution $$f$$ exists, unique and is known to be Holder continuous.
PS :
I am looking for a fast algorithm to solve it numerically, even at a high dimensions, by leveraging the state of the art qualitative knowledge on this pde.
I already know that, among the space of continuous functions, the solution exists, is unique and is atleast Holder continuous with $$\alpha = \frac{1}{d+1}$$. I am not interested in solutions that have isolated discontinuities.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your problem with us. The PDE you have presented is quite interesting and challenging. It seems like you are trying to solve a non-linear elliptic equation with a combination of Dirichlet and Neumann boundary conditions. The fact that the solution exists in the space of continuous functions and is known to be Holder continuous is a great starting point.

To solve this problem numerically, you can use finite element methods or finite difference methods. Both of these methods have been extensively used to solve non-linear elliptic equations. For high dimensions, you can also consider using adaptive mesh refinement techniques to improve the accuracy and efficiency of your solution.

In terms of leveraging the state of the art qualitative knowledge on this PDE, you can start by looking at existing literature on similar problems. There might be some well-established numerical methods or algorithms that have been used to solve similar PDEs. Additionally, you can also consider using parallel computing techniques to speed up the numerical solution.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your research!

What is a p-Laplacian?

The p-Laplacian is a type of differential operator used in partial differential equations. It is defined as the divergence of the gradient of a function raised to the power of p, where p is a positive constant.

What is a weakly formulated PDE?

A weakly formulated PDE is a partial differential equation that is written in a variational form, where the solution is found by minimizing a certain functional. This approach allows for more flexibility in the choice of function spaces and boundary conditions, and can often yield solutions to more difficult or complex PDEs.

What is the solution process for a weakly formulated PDE involving p-Laplacian?

The solution process for a weakly formulated PDE involving p-Laplacian typically involves finding the weak form of the PDE, which involves rewriting the PDE in terms of an unknown function and its derivatives, and then using variational methods to minimize a functional. This functional can then be solved using techniques such as the Euler-Lagrange equation or the Galerkin method.

What are some applications of p-Laplacian equations?

p-Laplacian equations have applications in various fields such as fluid mechanics, image processing, and finance. They are often used to model non-linear phenomena where the behavior of a system is influenced by its own gradient, such as in non-Newtonian fluids or in the growth of biological tissues.

What are some challenges in solving weakly formulated PDEs involving p-Laplacian?

One of the main challenges in solving weakly formulated PDEs involving p-Laplacian is the non-linearity of the equations. This can make it difficult to find analytical solutions, and numerical methods may be necessary. Additionally, the choice of function spaces and boundary conditions can greatly affect the accuracy and convergence of the solutions.