1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solution to diff. eqn as a ring

1. Sep 29, 2008 #1
    Solution to diff. eqn as a ring(killing me - please look at my result!)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am presented with the following problem given the direction field

[tex]f(u,v) = \left( \begin{array}{ccc} -sin(u) & sin(v) \\ cos(u) & cos(v) \end{array} \right)[/tex]

as [tex]\left( \begin{array}{c}u^{'} & v^{'} \end{array} \right) = f(u,v)[/tex]

show that

[tex](\{(u,v) \in \mathbb{R}^2|f(u,v) = 0\} = T_{1} \cup T_{2} )[/tex]

[tex]T_{1} = \{l \pi, m\pi + \frac{\pi}{2}|l,m \in \mathbb{Z}\}[/tex]
    [tex]T_{2} = \{m \pi, l\pi + \frac{\pi}{2}|l,m \in \mathbb{Z}\}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Don't I treat [tex]T_{1} \cup T_{2} [/tex] as a ring since any solution to the differential equation [tex]\left( \begin{array}{c}u^{'} & v^{'} \end{array} \right) = f(u,v) = 0[/tex] must lie on the Ring [tex]T_{1} \cup T_{2} [/tex]?

Thus I must show [tex]T_{1} + T_{2} [/tex] and [tex]T_{1} \cdo T_{2} [/tex] lies
    [tex]T_{1} \cup T_{2} [/tex]?

If yes very well.

[tex]T_{1} + T_{2} = (\frac{4(l+1)\cdot \pi}{2}, \frac{4(m+1)\cdot \pi}{2}) [/tex]

[tex]T_{1} \cdot T_{2} = (\frac{(2 \cdot m+1)\cdot \pi}{2}, \frac{(2\cdot l+1)\cdot \pi}{2}) [/tex]

and since [tex]l,m \in \mathbb{Z}[/tex] then 2(l+1) and 2(m+1) and m(2m+1) and l(2l+1) are in [tex]T_{1} \cup T_{2} [/tex] is the Ring which defines in solution for [tex]\left( \begin{array}{c}u^{'} & v^{'} \end{array} \right) = f(u,v)[/tex] which implies that in l,m on the Ring mentioned above will give a solution for the differential equation.

How is that??

Sincerely Yours

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Alphaboy! Thanks for the PM :smile:
    I'm sorry, I'm not following this. :redface:

T1 and T2, according to your definitions, are the same.

And how can f(u,v) = 0? If the top line is 0, then the bottom line isn't.

And what is the differential equation?

And what is a direction field? :confused:
  4. Oct 1, 2008 #3
    Hi Tiny-tim,

you are one of the smartest guys here :D

Anyway if look at my teachers definition of T1 and T2 its their inclusion which gives f(u,v) = 0 for any integer l and m, if and only if l and m are in Z.

and what I am trying to do it to insert T1 + T2 and T1*T2 into f(u,v) and as mentioned if l and m are in Z, then I get f(u,v) = 0.

and it was "vectorfield" and (u', v') is the corresponding differential equation.

I hope this have cleared it up now :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?