1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solution to Matrix Differential Equation

1. Oct 11, 2008 #1
    How do I write the form of the solution to this equation:

[tex]

\dot{\vec{x}}(t) =
    \left [ \begin{array}{cc}
    a_{11}(t) & a_{12}(t) \\
    a_{21}(t) & a_{22}(t)
    \end{array} \right ] \vec{x}(t)

[/tex]

I just need to be able to write x1(t) and x2(t) so I can do the rest of the problem I'm working on. Getting this would just be a small step in my solution, but I am very rusty with my differential equations!! :(

Initially, I thought to write:

[tex]
    x_1(t) = \int_{t_0}^{t}x_1(\tau)a_{11}(\tau) + x_2(\tau)a_{12}(\tau)d\tau
    [/tex]

[tex]
    x_2(t) = \int_{t_0}^{t}x_1(\tau)a_{21}(\tau) + x_2(\tau)a_{22}(\tau)d\tau
    [/tex]

But that has the solutions with dependence on x1(t) and x2(t). That's not the way to write it, is it?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2008 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Let's look at your system of DEs this way:
    [tex]
    \dot{\vec{x}}(t) = A \vec{x}(t)
    [/tex]

What you'd like is a system that looks like this:
    [tex]
    \dot{\vec{x}}(t) = D \vec{x}(t)
    [/tex]
    where D is a diagonal matrix.

This will untangle things so that you have x1'(t) = d11 x1(t) and x2'(t) = d22 x2(t).

These are easy to solve, since each one involves only a single variable.

Getting the matrix D is the hard part, though, since doing this involves changing to a different basis (for R2 in your case). Without going into too many details, you'll want to find a matrix D that is similar to your original matrix A, which I'm assuming is invertible. Similarity is precisely defined this way: If A ~ D, then for some invertible matrix P, AP = PD.

Equivalently, P[tex]^{-1}[/tex]AP = P[tex]^{-1}[/tex]PD = D.

You will need to come up with a matrix P whose columns are the new basis, and a matrix P[tex]^{-1}[/tex], the inverse of P.

To wind this up, the columns of P are the eigenvectors of matrix A, and it turns out that the diagonal entries of D are the eigenvalues of A.

I hope I've given you enough to at least get you started searching for the things to learn more about. Solving a system of DEs, even the simplest possible system in two variables requires a significant amount of understanding in linear algebra.

Mark

4. Oct 12, 2008 #3
    Yes, my linear algebra is a few years out of service, but it is not non-existent. You have refreshed my memory. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?