Solutions mod $p^n$: Finding x$_1 \pmod {7^2}$

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
In summary, we discussed finding solutions $\pmod {7^2}$ for $x^2 \equiv a \pmod 7$ and used the method of induction to find a solution $\pmod {7^{n+1}}$. We also showed that the congruence has a unique solution $\pmod 7$ and explained how we can write $x_{n+1}$ in terms of $x_n$ and the coefficients $a_i$.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hi! (Blush)

We have a solution $x_0 \pmod 7$ of $x^2 \equiv a \pmod 7$.
To find a solution $\pmod {7^2}$, we are looking for $x_1 \in \mathbb{Z}$ such that $$x_1^2 \equiv 2 \pmod {7^2} \text{ such that } x_1 \equiv x_0\pmod 7$$

We write $x_1=x_0+7a_1$ and we replace it.

We have $x_1^2-2=(3+7a_1)^2-2=7+6 \cdot 7 a_1+a_1^2 7^2 \equiv 7(1+6a_1) \pmod {7^2}$

Therefore: $x_1^2-2 \equiv 0 \pmod{7^2} \Leftrightarrow 1+6a_1 \equiv 0 \pmod 7 \Leftrightarrow a_1 \equiv 1 \pmod 7 \Leftrightarrow x_1 \equiv 10 \pmod{7^2}$

We continue by using induction.

We suppose that we have a solution $\displaystyle{x_n=\sum_{i=0}^{n}a_i7^i}$ of $x_n^2-2 \equiv \pmod {7^{n+1}}$

Then, we are looking for $x_{n+1}$ such that $$x_{n+1}^2-2 \equiv 0 \pmod {7^{n+2}} \text{ and } x_{n+1} \equiv x_n \pmod {7^{n+1}}$$

We set $x_{n+1}=x_n+a_{n+1}7^{n+1}$ and we have:

$$0 \equiv x_{n+1}^2-2 =(x_n+a_{n+1}7^{n+1})^2-2 = x_n^2-2+2x_n a_{n+1} 7^{n+1}+a_{n+1}^2 7^{2n+2} \\ \equiv (x_n^2-2)+2 x_n a_{n+1}7^{n+1} \pmod {7^{n+2}} \equiv 7^{n+1} b_{n+1}+2x_na_{n+1}7^{n+1} \pmod {7^{n+2}}$$

Do we get the term $b_{n+1}$ from : $$x_n^2-2 \equiv 0 \pmod {7^{n+1}} \Rightarrow x_n^2-2 = 7^{n+1}b_{n+1}$$ ?
$$x_{n+1}^2-2 \equiv 7^{n+1}(b_{n+1}+2x_na_{n+1}) \pmod {7^{n+2}}$$
$$x_{n+1}^2-2 \equiv 0 \pmod {7^{n+2}} \Leftrightarrow 2x_na_{n+1}+b_{n+1} \equiv 0\pmod 7$$

Since $x_n \equiv x_0 \pmod 7$, $$x_{n+1}^2-2=0 \Leftrightarrow 2a_{n+1}x_0+b_{n+1} \equiv 0 \pmod 7 \Leftrightarrow 6a_{n+1}=-b_{n+1} \pmod 7 \Leftrightarrow a_{n+1}\equiv b_{n+1} \pmod 7$$

This congruence has an unambiguous solution $\pmod 7$, $a_{n+1} \in \{0,1,2, \dots, 6 \}$. $(*)$

$$\Rightarrow x_{n+1} \sum_{i=0}^{n+1} a_i 7^i$$

Could you explain me how we conclude that the congruence has an unambiguous solution $\pmod 7$, when $a_{n+1} \equiv b_{n+1} \pmod 7$ ?

And also, we had set that $\displaystyle{x_{n+1}=x_n+a_{n+1}7^{n+1}}$, where $\displaystyle{x_n=\sum_{i=0}^{n}a_i7^i}$. Can we write $\displaystyle{x_{n+1}=\sum_{i=0}^{n+1}a_i7^i}$ because of $(*)$ ? Or is there an other reason?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. To answer your first question, we can conclude that the congruence has an unambiguous solution $\pmod 7$ because the coefficients $a_{n+1}$ and $b_{n+1}$ are both integers and the modulus $7$ is a prime number. This means that $a_{n+1}$ and $b_{n+1}$ have a unique remainder when divided by $7$, and therefore there is only one possible solution for $a_{n+1}$ that satisfies the congruence.

As for your second question, yes, we can write $x_{n+1}=\sum_{i=0}^{n+1}a_i7^i$ because of $(*)$. This is because we are using the same method as in the previous steps, where we set $x_{n+1}=x_n+a_{n+1}7^{n+1}$ and then find the value of $a_{n+1}$ that satisfies the congruence. This value will then be added to the previous terms in the sum, resulting in a new sum with one more term. This process can be repeated for any number of terms, allowing us to write $x_{n+1}$ in terms of $x_n$ and the coefficients $a_i$. I hope this helps to clarify your doubts. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What does "mod" mean in "Solutions mod $p^n$"?

"Mod" is short for "modulus" and it refers to the remainder after dividing a number by another number. In this context, "Solutions mod $p^n$" means finding the solutions or values of a variable that satisfy a given equation or inequality when the variable is taken modulo a prime number raised to a certain power.

2. What is the significance of using a prime number in "Solutions mod $p^n$"?

Using a prime number in "Solutions mod $p^n$" ensures that the solutions are unique. This is because prime numbers have only two factors, 1 and itself, making it impossible for the solution to be divisible by any other number.

3. What does "x$_1$ mod $p^n$" mean in "Finding x$_1 \pmod {7^2}$"?

"x$_1$ mod $p^n$" means finding the smallest non-negative integer value of x that satisfies the given equation or inequality when taken modulo a prime number raised to a certain power. In this case, we are finding the smallest value of x that satisfies the given equation when taken modulo $7^2$.

4. How is "Solutions mod $p^n$" used in real-world applications?

"Solutions mod $p^n$" is used in various fields of science and mathematics, including number theory, cryptography, and computer science. It is used to solve equations and inequalities that involve large numbers and to ensure the uniqueness of solutions. It is also used in coding and encryption algorithms to secure data.

5. Can "Solutions mod $p^n$" be used for any value of n?

Yes, "Solutions mod $p^n$" can be used for any positive integer value of n. However, as n increases, the calculations become more complex and time-consuming. Therefore, in practice, it is usually used for small values of n.