Solve 4 Variable Equation: a,b,c & x

• Thread starter Biaqua
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variable
In summary, the equation a * (x/1000) = b - x * c can be solved for x by isolating x on the left side and then multiplying both sides by 1000. The solution for x is x = (1000b)/(a+1000c).
Biaqua
For my work, I need to solve the following equation for the variable x (if possible):

a * (x/1000) = b - x * c

Can someone please help me solve it or inform me that it is simply not possible. I'm chemist myself, so solving equations is not exactly my expertise.

Thanks in advance!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
First, add up c*x to both sides of the equation. Then isolate x from the left side.

Last edited:
Thanks, but I already got to that point. The thing is that I don't know how to solve the (x/1000) part.

Biaqua said:
Thanks, but I already got to that point. The thing is that I don't know how to solve the (x/1000) part.

Multiply both sides by 1000.

Just to make it abundantly clear:

[tex]\frac{a}{1000} x = b - c x[/tex]
[tex]\frac{a}{1000} x + c x = b[/tex]
[tex](\frac{a}{1000} + c) x = b[/tex]
[tex]x = \frac{b}{\frac{a}{1000} + c}[/tex]
[tex]x = \frac{1000 b}{a + 1000 c}[/tex]

Related to Solve 4 Variable Equation: a,b,c & x

1. How do I solve a 4 variable equation?

To solve a 4 variable equation, you will need to have four equations with four variables. You will then use algebraic manipulation and substitution to solve for the four variables.

2. Can I use any method to solve a 4 variable equation?

Yes, there are several methods that can be used to solve a 4 variable equation, such as substitution, elimination, and graphing. The method you choose will depend on the specific equation and your personal preference.

3. Is there a specific order in which I should solve for the variables?

No, there is no specific order in which you must solve for the variables. However, it is often helpful to start with the variable that has the fewest number of terms or the simplest coefficient.

4. Can I use matrices to solve a 4 variable equation?

Yes, you can use matrices to solve a 4 variable equation. This method is known as Gaussian Elimination and involves creating an augmented matrix and using row operations to reduce it to row-echelon form.

5. What if I end up with no solution or infinite solutions?

If you end up with no solution to a 4 variable equation, it means that the equations are inconsistent and there is no set of values that satisfy all four equations. If you end up with infinite solutions, it means that the equations are dependent and there are an infinite number of possible solutions.