Solve for Distance Sliding in Socks with Friction of .250

  • Thread starter Thread starter Heat
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sliding
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 7K views
Heat
Messages
272
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Sliding in Socks

Homework Statement



Suppose that the coefficient of friction between your feet and the floor, while wearing socks, is 0.250. Knowing this, you decide to get a running start and then slide across the floor.

If your speed is 3.00 m/s when you start to slide, what distance d will you slide before stopping?

The Attempt at a Solution



We are given that coefficient of friction is .250

f = .250(n)

I really don't know to go from here.

We are given speed so, let me permit my brain to flow with the numbers :D

K= .5mv^2 may apply

.250mg = .5m(.250)^2
.250(9.8)m = .5m(.250)^2
2.45m = .003125m...and it ends there..so I just went the wrong way.

Solution is 1.84m, but I want to learn how to do this problem.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ok

I got that

k1 = .5mvo^2
k2 = .5mv^2

f = umg

W = F *s

we know that f is a F so I could use that

so

W = -fd = -umgd
Wtotal = k2-k1

so I would think it would be safe to say taht

k2-k1 = -umgd

.5(mv^2) - .5(mvo^2) = -umgd

is this is all correct thusfar, how do I continue?
 
Last edited:
yep got it, at first, I was confused on what to do with the m, and realized that they are common factor and cancel out.