Solve Maclaurin Series for f(x)= 1/(1+x+X2)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Crazy Gnome
Messages
13
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the Maclaurin series for f(x)= 1/ (1+x+X2)


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I think the book says I can just divide 1 by the Maclaurin series of (1+x+X2). And when i do this the original function is the answer (which makes sense).

But when I do it my finding the derivatives of f(x) and then using the formula I get f(x) = 1-x+x3.

So I was wondering if
1) Which way is correct
2) is the second one accurate.

Thanks
-James
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The second way is accurate. The first way would be as well if you do what they want you to. You are supposed to divide 1 by 1+x+x^2 using polynomial division. The result is NOT 1+x+x^2.