Solve Multivariable Extrema for f(x) = x^2 + 4xy + y^2 + 6x + 8

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
thshen34
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


f = x^2 + 4xy + y^2 + 6x + 8
Find minimum, maximum, or saddle point

Homework Equations


A = [f_xx, f_xy; f_yx, f_yy]

The Attempt at a Solution



Found the determinant to be zero ( i got [2 ,4; 4, 2] ) so i can't use the eigenvalues to determine the extrema.

now what do i do? If I am to use lagrange multipliers, how do i do that without a constraint?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that method breaks down here. Try a change of coordinates to break the symmetry between the second order x and y terms.
 
How is the determinant 0?

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot I can't give out full solutions.

Make sure you are finding the determinant correctly.
 
Last edited: