Solve Semi-Atwood Machine Homework: m1=0.30kg, m2=0.45kg, θ=11°

  • Thread starter Thread starter chrisfnet
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Machine
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
chrisfnet
Messages
38
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Again, I've uploaded a diagram of the problem.

In the setup shown, m1 = 0.30kg, m2 = 0.45kg and theta = 11 degrees. Also, between the first block and the incline, coefficient of friction = 0.40. Assume the system moves so that the first block slides up the incline. (a) What is the acceleration of the system? (b) What is the tension in the string?

Homework Equations






The Attempt at a Solution



I really have no idea how to start this. First, I suppose draw FBD for both m1 and m2. Then what should I do? I'll draw them and post them to see if I'm on the right track..
 
Attachments
  • Physics-Problem-3.jpg
    Physics-Problem-3.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 414
Physics news on Phys.org
Here are my FBDs. I'm just not sure what to do next.
 
Attachments
  • Physics-Problem-4.jpg
    Physics-Problem-4.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 422
Once you've drawn your FBDs, use them to apply Newton's 2nd law to each mass. You'll get two force equations, which you can solve together to find the acceleration and the string tension.
 
I do understand that.. I'm having trouble coming up with the correct equations. I'll attempt it again and post here and see what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks!