Solve Set Theory Homework: Right Hand Side of "Or

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that ##C \subseteq A \cap B \implies A \cap B \cap C = C##, and the attempt at a solution involves using the fact that if both ##X## and ##Y## are subsets of each other, then ##X = Y##. This can be used to prove the desired statement.
James Brady

Homework Statement

##C \subseteq A \cap B \implies A \cap B \cap C = C##

Homework Equations

How do I get rid of the "belongs to" term on the right hand side? I know I need to prove either the left hand or the right hand side of the "or" term is correct, I'm just not sure how to get there.

The Attempt at a Solution

~##(C \subseteq A \cap B) \cup (A \cap B \cap C = C)##

right hand side (right of the "or"):
##C \subseteq A \cap B \cap C## (Trivial)
##A \cap B \cap C \subseteq C## (This is the one we want to prove)

So all together:

~##(C \subseteq A \cap B) \cup (A \cap B \cap C \subseteq C)##
##\exists x \in C \therefore x \in A \cap B)##
##(\sim a \cup \sim b) \cup (a \cap b \cap c \subseteq C)##

Physics news on Phys.org
James Brady said:

Homework Statement

##C \subseteq A \cap B \implies A \cap B \cap C = C##

Homework Equations

How do I get rid of the "belongs to" term on the right hand side? I know I need to prove either the left hand or the right hand side of the "or" term is correct, I'm just not sure how to get there.

The Attempt at a Solution

~##(C \subseteq A \cap B) \cup (A \cap B \cap C = C)##

right hand side (right of the "or"):
##C \subseteq A \cap B \cap C## (Trivial)
##A \cap B \cap C \subseteq C## (This is the one we want to prove)

So all together:

~##(C \subseteq A \cap B) \cup (A \cap B \cap C \subseteq C)##
##\exists x \in C \therefore x \in A \cap B)##
##(\sim a \cup \sim b) \cup (a \cap b \cap c \subseteq C)##
I don't really understand your complexity here. Can't you simply use ##(X \subseteq Y) \wedge (Y \subseteq X) \Longrightarrow X = Y ##?

1. What is the right hand side of "Or" in set theory?

The right hand side of "Or" in set theory refers to the second part of a statement in the form of A ∪ B, where A and B are sets. It represents the union of the two sets, meaning all elements that are in either A or B or both.

2. How is the right hand side of "Or" calculated in set theory?

The right hand side of "Or" can be calculated by listing out all the elements in both sets A and B, and then removing any duplicates. This results in a new set that contains all the elements from both A and B.

3. What is the difference between the right hand side and left hand side of "Or" in set theory?

The left hand side of "Or" represents the first part of a statement in the form of A ∪ B, while the right hand side represents the second part. The left hand side represents the union of the two sets, while the right hand side represents the individual sets themselves.

4. Can the right hand side of "Or" be empty in set theory?

Yes, the right hand side of "Or" can be empty in set theory. This occurs when one or both of the sets being combined have no elements in common, resulting in an empty set for the union.

5. How can the right hand side of "Or" be used in real-life situations?

The right hand side of "Or" can be used in real-life situations to represent the combination of two groups or categories. For example, if Set A represents people who like ice cream and Set B represents people who like cake, the right hand side of "Or" would represent all the people who like either ice cream or cake, or both.