Solve Tension in Moving Speedboat w/o Mass?

• Thread starter Balsam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the conversation discusses using a string to suspend a cork ball from the ceiling of a moving speedboat and finding the magnitude of tension in the string. The equation Fnet=ma is used to solve for the magnitude of tension, but it is not possible to solve without knowing the mass of the object. The question asks if the mass of the ball is necessary for this calculation. The correct answer is yes, the mass is needed to solve for the magnitude of tension.
Balsam

Homework Statement

Is it possible to solve for the magnitude of tension without using the mass of the object? : You use a string to suspend a cork ball with a mass of 22g from the ceiling of a moving speedboat. The ball and the string hang at an angle of 32.5degrees from the vertical. The acceleration of the speedboat is 6.2m/s^2. Determine the magnitude of tension in the string. Do you need to know the mass of the ball to make this calculation? Why or why not?

Homework Equations

Fnet=ma, (Fnet)x=ma=(Ft)x

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved this using the mass, but could not solve without using the mass. To solve, I just did

Fnetx=ma
ma=Ftx
ma=Ftsin32.5

I just subbed in m and a after that and solved for Ft. I got the right answer, which is 0.26N.

I wrote that you need the mass in order to solve for FT in this case.

Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does the question ask "Do you need to know the mass of the ball," or does it ask "Do you need to know the acceleration of the ball"?

Chestermiller said:
Does the question ask "Do you need to know the mass of the ball," or does it ask "Do you need to know the acceleration of the ball"?

Do you need the mass?

Balsam said:
Do you need the mass?
Yes.

1. How does tension affect a moving speedboat?

Tension plays a crucial role in the movement of a speedboat. The tension created by the force of the boat's engine propelling it forward is what allows the boat to move through the water.

2. What factors can affect the tension in a moving speedboat?

The tension in a moving speedboat can be affected by a variety of factors, such as the speed of the boat, the weight and distribution of the load on the boat, and the resistance of the water.

3. Can tension be reduced in a moving speedboat without changing the mass?

Yes, tension can be reduced in a moving speedboat without changing the mass by adjusting the speed of the boat or by reducing the resistance of the water, such as by using a more streamlined hull design.

4. How can tension be controlled in a moving speedboat?

Tension in a moving speedboat can be controlled through various methods, such as adjusting the throttle of the engine, changing the direction of the boat, or using different types of propulsion systems.

5. What are some common techniques for solving tension in a moving speedboat without changing the mass?

Some common techniques for solving tension in a moving speedboat include using a combination of different forces and angles, adjusting the weight distribution on the boat, and making small adjustments to the boat's speed and direction to find the most efficient and tension-free movement.