1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve the screened Poisson equation

1. Dec 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve the equation
    [tex]
    \nabla^2\phi-\frac{1}{\lambda^2_D}\phi=-\frac{q_T}{\epsilon_0}\delta(r)
    [/tex]
    substituting the [itex]\delta[/itex] representation
    [tex]
    \delta(r)=\frac{1}{4\pi}\frac{q_T}{r}
    [/tex]
    and writing the laplacian in spherical coordinates. Use as your guess
    [tex]
    \phi=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{g(r)}{r}
    [/tex]
    and show
    [tex]
    g(r)=\exp(-r/\lambda_D)
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know how to solve this equation using the Green and Fourier formalism, but here I am asked to solve it "the easy way" (as said in "Introduction to plasma physics - Bellan").

All I can say is
    [tex]
    \nabla^2\left(\phi-\frac{q_T}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{1}{r}\right)-\frac{\phi}{\lambda^2}=0
    [/tex]
    Using the guess
    [tex]
    \phi=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{g(r)}{r}
    [/tex]
    I have
    [tex]
    \frac{1}{r^2}\partial_r\left[r^2\partial_r\left(\frac{g(r)-q_T}{4\pi\epsilon_0r}\right)\right]-\frac{g}{4\pi\epsilon_0r\lambda^2}=0
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    \frac{1}{r^2}\partial_r\left[r^2\left(\frac{r\partial_r g-(g-q_T)}{r^2}\right)\right]-\frac{g}{r\lambda^2}=0
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    \frac{1}{r^2}(\partial_r g+r\partial_r^2g-\partial_r g)-\frac{g}{r\lambda^2}=0
    [/tex]
    And so the final differential equation for g(r) is
    [tex]
    \frac{\partial_r^2g}{r}-\frac{g}{r\lambda^2}=0
    [/tex]
    which has the physical solution
    [tex]
    g(r)=\exp(-r/\lambda)
    [/tex]

This result is correct, but my doubt is: the [itex]\delta[/itex] term didn't play any role, I mean, if I solved the equation
    [tex]
    \nabla^2\phi-\frac{1}{\lambda^2_D}\phi=0
    [/tex]
    I would have obtained the same result.
    I suppose that without the [itex]\delta[/itex] term there is some problem in r=0, but I don't fully understand what is the problem

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

How do you get that? Isn't ##\nabla^2\left(\frac 1r\right) = 0##?
    If so, don't we get ##\nabla^2\left(\phi-\frac{q_T}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{\lambda^2}{r}\right)-\frac{1}{\lambda^2}\left(\phi-\frac{q_T}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{\lambda^2}{r}\right)=0##

4. Dec 29, 2013 #3
    No, the function 1/r is singular at r=0, so the laplacian is proportional to a delta, i.e., it is zero everywhere except at r=0.

5. Dec 29, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right. All you can conclude from ##\nabla^2\phi-\frac{1}{\lambda^2_D}\phi=0## is that ##\phi=C \frac{e^{-\frac{r}{\lambda_D}}}{r}## where C is some constant. If you don't have a ##\delta## term then C=0. The ##\delta## function source let's you fix C. The shortcut way is to consider a sphere around the origin of radius r and let r->0 applying the divergence theorem. Show you can ignore the correction from the exponential factor in that limit.

6. Dec 30, 2013 #5
    But the solution
    ##\phi=C \frac{e^{-\frac{r}{\lambda_D}}}{r}##
    satisfies ##\nabla^2\phi-\frac{1}{\lambda^2_D}\phi=0## for every value of the constant C, not only for C=0

7. Dec 30, 2013 #6
    I tried to do that:
    [tex]
    \int_V\nabla\left(\nabla\phi\right)=\int_S-C\frac{\exp(-r/\lambda)}{\lambda r^2}(r+\lambda)=-C\frac{\exp(-r/\lambda)}{\lambda}(r+\lambda)4\pi\:\:\:\:\:\:\:(1)
    [/tex]
    But from ##\nabla^2\phi-\frac{1}{\lambda^2}\phi ## I have
    [tex]
    \int_V\nabla\left(\nabla\phi\right)=\int_V \frac{1}{\lambda^2}C\frac{\exp(-r/\lambda)}{r}=\int_0^r r^2dr\int_0^\pi \sin(\theta)d\theta\int_0^{2\pi}d\phi\,\left(-\frac{1}{\lambda^2}\right)C\frac{\exp(-r/\lambda)}{r}=
    \\
    -\frac{4\pi}{\lambda}C\exp(-r/\lambda)(\lambda+r)-4\pi C \:\:\:\:\:\:\:(2)
    [/tex]
    For formula (1) and (2) to be the same the constant C must be 0.
    The incorrect term ##-4\pi C ## is indeed the value of (1) for ## r\to 0## and can be eliminated with a delta source.
    Is this reasoning correct?

8. Dec 30, 2013 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That is EXACTLY my point. But you don't want to solve ##\nabla^2\phi-\frac{1}{\lambda^2_D}\phi=0##, that's only true for r>0. You want to solve ##\nabla^2\phi-\frac{1}{\lambda^2_D}\phi=-\frac{q_T}{\epsilon_0}\delta(r)##. Integrate both sides over a sphere centered on the origin of radius r. The right side gives you ##-\frac{q_T}{\epsilon_0}## no matter what r is. The integral of ##\frac{1}{\lambda^2_D}\phi## will go to zero as r->0. That just leaves the integral of ##\nabla^2\phi##. As you showed in part (1) of post 7 that consists of a constant part and another part that vanishes as r->0. Now just equate the parts that don't vanish as r->0. Solve for C.

9. Dec 30, 2013 #8

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I'd use spherical coordinates + symmetry to begin with, i.e., setting [itex]\phi(\vec{r})=\phi(r)[/itex] with [itex]r=|\vec{r}|[/itex]. Of course you can do that only for [itex]r>0[/itex], because the spherical coordinates are singular along the entire [itex]z[/itex] axis.

Then adopt the (two) free parameters of the general solution of the (ordinary!) differential equation for [itex]\phi(r)[/itex]. One is [itex]\phi \rightarrow 0[/itex] for [itex]r \rightarrow \infty[/itex], which leaves you with the solution already found earlier in the tread.

Then use Dick's method to find the remaining constant [itex]C[/itex].

10. Dec 31, 2013 #9
    Thank you everybody for your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted