Solve Trig Substitution Integral: \int_{}^{} {\frac{x}{{\sqrt {3 - x^4 } }}dx}

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
1,753
Reaction score
143
[SOLVED] trig substitution

This is from the class notes. Evaluate the integral:
[tex] \int_{}^{} {\frac{x}{{\sqrt {3 - x^4 } }}dx} [/tex]

[tex] \begin{array}{l}<br /> u = x^2 ,\,\,du = 2x\,dx\,\, \Leftrightarrow \,\,dx = \frac{{du}}{{2x}} \\ <br /> \\ <br /> \int_{}^{} {\frac{{x^1 }}{{\sqrt {3 - x^4 } }}dx} = \int_{}^{} {\frac{x}{{2x\sqrt {3 - u^2 } }}du} = \int_{}^{} {\frac{1}{{2\sqrt {3 - u^2 } }}du } \\ <br /> \end{array}[/tex]

The next step I would want to do using trig substitution is
[tex] \begin{array}{l}<br /> a = \sqrt 3 ,\,x = a\sin \theta = \sqrt 3 \sin \theta \\ <br /> \\ <br /> \frac{1}{2}\int_{}^{} {\frac{1}{{\sqrt {\sqrt 3 ^2 - \sqrt 3 \sin \theta } }}du} = \frac{1}{2}\int_{}^{} {\frac{1}{{\sqrt {3 - \sqrt 3 \sin \theta } }}du} \\ <br /> \end{array}[/tex]

But the next step in the example is:
[tex] \int_{}^{} {\frac{1}{{2\sqrt {3 - u^2 } }}du = } \frac{1}{2}\sin ^{ - 1} \frac{u}{{\sqrt 3 }} + C[/tex]
How did he get this? Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int\frac{du}{2\sqrt{3-u^2}}=\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{du}{\sqrt{3}\sqrt{1-(u/ \sqrt{3})^2}}[/tex] then let y=u/sqrt(3) hence dy=du/sqrt(3), so we have [tex]\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{dy\sqrt{3}}{\sqrt{3}\sqrt{1-y^2}}=\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{dy}{\sqrt{1-y^2}}[/tex] which is a standard integral.
 
Thanks for the reply. But I don't see how you did this:
[tex]\int\frac{du}{2\sqrt{3-u^2}}=\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{du}{\sqrt{3}\sqrt{1-(u/ \sqrt{3})^2}}[/tex]

I know you're right, because I picked a random value for u and plugged both formulas into my calculator. But I just don't know how you got from one to the other.
 
tony873004 said:
Thanks for the reply. But I don't see how you did this:
[tex]\int\frac{du}{2\sqrt{3-u^2}}=\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{du}{\sqrt{3}\sqrt{1-(u/ \sqrt{3})^2}}[/tex]

Ok, well let's just consider the denominator: [itex]2\sqrt{3-u^2}[/itex]. This can be rewritten as [tex]2\sqrt{(\sqrt{3})^2-u^2}=2\sqrt{(\sqrt{3})^2[1-(u/\sqrt{3})^2]}[/tex] by factoring out \sqrt{3}^2. We can then take this outside the square-root sign to give [tex]2\sqrt{3}\sqrt{1-(u/\sqrt{3})^2}[/tex] as required.
 
Last edited:
cristo said:
Ok, well let's just consider the denominator: [itex]2\sqrt{3-u^2}[/itex]. This can be rewritten as [tex]2\sqrt{(\sqrt{3})^2-u^2}=2\sqrt{(\sqrt{3})^2[1-(u/\sqrt{3})^2]}[/tex] by factoring out \sqrt{3}^2. We can then take this outside the square-root sign to give [tex]2\sqrt{3}\sqrt{1-(u/\sqrt{3})^2}[/tex] as required.

I was about to write back and ask how you did that factoring, but now that I've stared at it for a few minutes, I see what you did.

They expected me to come up with that on my own??

Thanks, Christo :)
 
tony873004 said:
I was about to write back and ask how you did that factoring, but now that I've stared at it for a few minutes, I see what you did.

They expected me to come up with that on my own??

Thanks, Christo :)

You're welcome!