1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve x'=sinx

1. Sep 14, 2008 #1
    i'm having trouble with this.

i first need to solve x'=sinx. the answer is given as t=ln|(csc(x0)+cot(x0))/(csc(x)+cot(x))|]

i'm not sure where those x0's came in from.

here's what i did:

Int(1/sinx)dx=Int(1)dt
    Int(csc(x))dx=Int(1)dt
    Int((-1)[(-1)csc(x)(cot(x)+csc(x))]/(cot(x)+csc(x)))dx=Int(1)dt (this is the same as the line above but then lets you change Int(f'(x)/f(x)) to ln(f(x)))
    -ln(cot(x)+csc(x))=t

so as you can see this answer isn't the same as the answer that was provided. what am i doing wrong and where do those x0's come in from?

any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: x'=sinx

What happened to your constant of integration?

If [itex]\int f(x)dx= \int g(x)dx[/itex] then the most you can say is that f(x)= g(x)+ C where C is some constant- and if you are calling your function "x" then "x0" is a good a name as "C".

Your last line should be -ln|cos(x)+ csc(x)|+ C= t. Of course, - ln|cos(x)+ csc(x)|= ln|1/(cos(x)+ csc(x))| and, of course, - ln|cos(x)+ csc(x)|+ C= ln|1/(cos(x)+ csc(x))|+ C= ln|D/(cos(x)+ csc(x)| where D= eC is just another constant. The numerator above, csc(x0)+cot(x0), is just a number like "D". I presume they have some reason for writing it that way but it is exactly the same thing.

4. Sep 14, 2008 #3

ahhhhh. i see. thank you.

5. Sep 14, 2008 #4

my next problem is that it says show that for x0=pi/4 you can solve x=2arctan((e^t)/(1+sqrt(2))

here's what i have so far, working from the previous equation:

t=ln|((csc(pi/4)+cot(pi/4))/(csc(x)+cot(x))|
    t=ln|((2/sqrt(2)+1)/(csc(x)+cot(x))|
    e^t=(2/sqrt(2)+1)/(csc(x)+cot(x))
    csc(x)+cot(x)=(2/sqrt(2)+1)/e^t

then i'm stuck. i don't see how to isolate x and where an arctan would come from.

thank you in advance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?