Solving x'=sinx: Where do the x0's Come From?

• Thread starter evolution685
  • Start date
In summary, you are trying to solve for x0 in terms of pi/4 but you are stuck because you don't know how to isolate x.
evolution685
i'm having trouble with this.

i first need to solve x'=sinx. the answer is given as t=ln|(csc(x0)+cot(x0))/(csc(x)+cot(x))|]

i'm not sure where those x0's came in from.

here's what i did:

Int(1/sinx)dx=Int(1)dt
Int(csc(x))dx=Int(1)dt
Int((-1)[(-1)csc(x)(cot(x)+csc(x))]/(cot(x)+csc(x)))dx=Int(1)dt (this is the same as the line above but then let's you change Int(f'(x)/f(x)) to ln(f(x)))
-ln(cot(x)+csc(x))=t

so as you can see this answer isn't the same as the answer that was provided. what am i doing wrong and where do those x0's come in from?

any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

What happened to your constant of integration?

If [itex]\int f(x)dx= \int g(x)dx[/itex] then the most you can say is that f(x)= g(x)+ C where C is some constant- and if you are calling your function "x" then "x0" is a good a name as "C".

Your last line should be -ln|cos(x)+ csc(x)|+ C= t. Of course, - ln|cos(x)+ csc(x)|= ln|1/(cos(x)+ csc(x))| and, of course, - ln|cos(x)+ csc(x)|+ C= ln|1/(cos(x)+ csc(x))|+ C= ln|D/(cos(x)+ csc(x)| where D= eC is just another constant. The numerator above, csc(x0)+cot(x0), is just a number like "D". I presume they have some reason for writing it that way but it is exactly the same thing.

ahhhhh. i see. thank you.

my next problem is that it says show that for x0=pi/4 you can solve x=2arctan((e^t)/(1+sqrt(2))

here's what i have so far, working from the previous equation:

t=ln|((csc(pi/4)+cot(pi/4))/(csc(x)+cot(x))|
t=ln|((2/sqrt(2)+1)/(csc(x)+cot(x))|
e^t=(2/sqrt(2)+1)/(csc(x)+cot(x))
csc(x)+cot(x)=(2/sqrt(2)+1)/e^t

then I'm stuck. i don't see how to isolate x and where an arctan would come from.

thank you in advance.

Related to Solving x'=sinx: Where do the x0's Come From?

1. Where does the "x'=" notation come from?

The notation "x'=" refers to the derivative of the variable x. In this context, it represents the rate of change of x with respect to time.

2. Why is the equation set equal to sinx?

The equation x'=sinx represents a simple mathematical model where the rate of change of x is equal to the sine of x. This type of equation is commonly used in physics and engineering to model systems with periodic behavior.

3. What do the x0's represent?

The x0's represent the initial values of x, or the starting point for the solution of the equation. These values are usually specified in the problem or can be chosen arbitrarily.

4. How do you solve for x?

To solve this type of equation, you can use methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or integrating factors. These techniques involve manipulating the equation algebraically to isolate x and then solving for it.

5. What are the real-world applications of this type of equation?

The equation x'=sinx can be used to model a variety of physical phenomena, such as the motion of a pendulum, the behavior of a spring, or the oscillations of an electric circuit. It can also be used in fields such as economics and biology to model systems with periodic behavior.