Solving a differential equation using Laplace transform

In summary, the speaker is trying to solve a nonlinear differential equation using Laplace transform but is unsure if it is possible. They seek clarification and guidance on how to proceed. The other speaker suggests using the substitution u=y^(1/2) to reduce the equation to a solvable form, and explains the chain rule to simplify the equation even further. The speaker is able to solve the equation and concludes that it is incorrect to say that Laplace transform cannot be used on nonlinear differential equations.
PainterGuy
TL;DR Summary
What is the criteria for a given differential equation to be solvable using Laplace transform?
Hi,

I was trying to see if the following differential equation could be solved using Laplace transform; its solution is y=x^4/16.

You can see below that I'm not able to proceed because I don't know the Laplace pair of xy^(1/2).

Is it possible to solve the above equation using Laplace transform? In my opinion, I don't think so.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your ODE is nonlinear in the unknown ##y##.

Likes PainterGuy
In this case, the substitution [itex]u = y^{1/2}[/itex] will reduce the ODE to one which can be solved by Laplace transforms.

Likes PainterGuy
Thank you for your help!

S.G. Janssens said:
Your ODE is nonlinear in the unknown ##y##.

Is it okay to assume that Laplace transform cannot be used with nonlinear differential equations? The answer given here, https://www.quora.com/Can-you-determine-the-Laplace-Transform-of-a-non-linear-differential-equation , agrees to some extent.

pasmith said:
In this case, the substitution [itex]u = y^{1/2}[/itex] will reduce the ODE to one which can be solved by Laplace transforms.

I'm not sure if I'm following you correctly.

The equation reduces to

The new equation is still nonlinear and I can't see a way to apply Laplace transform to it.

I understand that what I wrote above is wrong because "dx" should be represented in term of "dy"; something like this du²/dy. I don't know how to proceed with it. Could you please guide me? Thank you!

PainterGuy said:
Thank you for your help!
Is it okay to assume that Laplace transform cannot be used with nonlinear differential equations? The answer given here, https://www.quora.com/Can-you-determine-the-Laplace-Transform-of-a-non-linear-differential-equation , agrees to some extent.
I'm not sure if I'm following you correctly.

View attachment 246135

The equation reduces to

View attachment 246136

The new equation is still nonlinear and I can't see a way to apply Laplace transform to it.

I understand that what I wrote above is wrong because "dx" should be represented in term of "dy"; something like this du²/dy. I don't know how to proceed with it. Could you please guide me? Thank you!
But ##\frac{du^2}{dx} = \frac{du^2}{du}\frac{du}{dx} = 2u\frac{du}{dx}## using the chain rule. This leads to a very simple, linear DE that you can use Laplace transforms on if you must, but much simpler techniques can be used.

Likes PainterGuy
Thank you!

I was able to solve it. So, I'd say that saying that a nonlinear differential equation cannot be solved using Laplace transform is not a correct statement.

?hash=0f31d99a1305010ff8c86b80a7a6cb5f.jpg
Note to self:
"y" is expressed in terms of "u", or as a function of "u". "u" in turn being function of "x". "y" is still a function of "x" but to make things easier we introduced substitution variable, u, and it stands between "y" and "x"; in other words, "y" depends upon "u" and "u" depends upon "x".

y=u^2
dy/dx=dy/du * du/dx
dy/dx=du^2/du * du/dx

Attachments

• diff_laplace_solved.jpg
    diff_laplace_solved.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 362

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It is used to describe the relationship between a quantity and its rate of change.

2. What is the Laplace transform?

The Laplace transform is a mathematical tool used to solve differential equations. It transforms a function of time into a function of complex frequency, making it easier to solve differential equations.

3. How is the Laplace transform used to solve differential equations?

The Laplace transform is used to convert a differential equation into an algebraic equation, which can then be solved using standard algebraic techniques. The solution is then transformed back to the time domain to obtain the final solution.

4. What are the advantages of using the Laplace transform to solve differential equations?

The Laplace transform can simplify the process of solving differential equations, as it reduces the problem to solving algebraic equations. It also allows for the use of initial conditions, making it possible to find a unique solution to the differential equation.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Laplace transform to solve differential equations?

Yes, the Laplace transform can only be used to solve linear differential equations with constant coefficients. It also requires advanced mathematical knowledge and can be time-consuming for complex equations.