How can I solve this LaPlace Transform using Laplace Transforms?

The result is $\frac{1}{4} e^{-\frac{5}{2}t} \left( \cos \left( \frac{\sqrt{7}}{2} t \right) + \frac{5}{2\sqrt{7}} \sin \left( \frac{\sqrt{7}}{2} t \right) \right)$.
shamieh
Solve by Laplace Transforms.

So I'm stuck on how to find this \(\displaystyle \mathcal{L}^{-1}\) $( \frac{\frac{5s}{4} + \frac{13}{4}}{s^2+5s+8} ) $

I'm not sure what t odo. I was thinking I need to use the $\cos(at)$ and $\sin(at)$ formulas but I'm not sure... Any help would be great

Physics news on Phys.org
nvm, i was doing something wrong

shamieh said:
Solve by Laplace Transforms.

So I'm stuck on how to find this \(\displaystyle \mathcal{L}^{-1}\) $( \frac{\frac{5s}{4} + \frac{13}{4}}{s^2+5s+8} ) $

I'm not sure what t odo. I was thinking I need to use the $\cos(at)$ and $\sin(at)$ formulas but I'm not sure... Any help would be great

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{\frac{5s}{4} + \frac{13}{4}}{s^2 + 5s + 8} &= \frac{1}{4} \left( \frac{5s + 13}{s^2 + 5s + 8} \right) \\ &= \frac{1}{4} \left[ \frac{5s + 13}{s^2 + 5s + \left( \frac{5}{2} \right) ^2 - \left( \frac{5}{2} \right) ^2 + 8} \right] \\ &= \frac{1}{4} \left[ \frac{5s + 13}{ \left( s + \frac{5}{2} \right) ^2 + \frac{7}{4} } \right] \\ &= \frac{1}{4} \left[ \frac{5 \left( s + \frac{5}{2} \right) + \frac{1}{2}}{\left( s + \frac{5}{2} \right) ^2 + \left( \frac{\sqrt{7}}{2} \right) ^2} \right] \end{align*}$

This is now in a form where you can apply a shift, and then take the transform.

Related to How can I solve this LaPlace Transform using Laplace Transforms?

1. What is the LaPlace Transform and why is it used in solving scientific problems?

The LaPlace Transform is a mathematical tool used to transform a function in the time domain into a function in the frequency domain. It is commonly used in scientific problems because it allows for easier analysis and manipulation of complex functions, making it an important tool in solving differential equations and other mathematical problems.

2. How do you solve a function using the LaPlace Transform?

To solve a function using the LaPlace Transform, you first apply the transform to the function, which results in a new function in the frequency domain. Then, using various properties and inverse LaPlace Transform techniques, you can manipulate the function to solve for the original function in the time domain.

3. What are the benefits of using the LaPlace Transform in scientific research?

The LaPlace Transform has many benefits in scientific research. It allows for easier manipulation and analysis of complex functions, making it useful in solving differential equations and other mathematical problems. It also helps to simplify and streamline calculations, making it a valuable tool for solving problems in various fields of science.

4. Are there any limitations to using the LaPlace Transform?

While the LaPlace Transform is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It is most effective when used on linear systems, and may not work well on non-linear systems. Additionally, it requires a strong understanding of advanced mathematics, so it may not be accessible to everyone.

5. How is the LaPlace Transform applied in real-world scenarios?

The LaPlace Transform is commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics to solve problems involving differential equations. It is also used in signal processing and control systems to analyze and manipulate signals. In the real world, the LaPlace Transform is used to solve a wide range of problems, from predicting stock market trends to designing efficient electric circuits.