Solving a Non-Linear Differential Equation Using Exact Equations

• Thread starter Tom1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, the conversation is about trying to show that y1(t)=t^2 and y2(t)=t^2+1 are solutions to the given differential equation. One person suggests finding the derivative of y1 and y2 and plugging them into the equation, while another person suggests using a transformation to solve the equation. The conversation ends with a suggestion to try the same method with y2 and a thank you.
Tom1
Hi,

I am trying to:
Show that y1(t)=t^2 and y2(t)=t^2+1

for the differential equation:
dy/dt=-y^2+y+2t^2y+2t-t^2-t^4

This is clearly a non-linear, non-seperable equation, and I cannot see how to try the method of exact equations on it. Therefore, I am stuck.

Anyone have any ideas of what to try?

Physics news on Phys.org
are you trying to show that y1(t)=t^2 and y2(t)=t^2+1
are two solutions of that diffl. eq or, just to solve that diff. eq? if the former is the case, all you need to do is find the derivative of y1, y2 and plug in the diff eq and see if the right hand is equal to the left hand. if the latter than ther is more work to do!

Trying to show that those are solutions to the diff. eq.

If I could solve the diff. eq. I guess it would show that those are particular solutions though.

Show that y1(t)=t^2 and y2(t)=t^2+1

for the differential equation:
dy/dt=-y^2+y+2t^2y+2t-t^2-t^4
y1'=2t, so

2t=-(t^2)^2+t^2+2t^2*t^2+2t-t^2-t^4=-t^4+2t^4 +2t-t^4=2t, so this is a solution. try the same thing with y2

Thank you much.

This equation is a Riccati type equation, i.e. [itex]y'(t)=a(t)\,y(t)^2+b(t)\,y(t)+c(t)[/itex]. The general solution can be found if one knows a particular solution [itex]y_p(t)[/itex] by the transformation [itex]y(t)=y_p(t)+\frac{1}{u(t)}[/itex] which makes it a linear one.
For the problem at hand if you write [itex]y(t)=t^2+\frac{1}{u(t)}[/itex] then the original ODE reduces to [itex]u'(t)=1-u(t)\Rightarrow u(t)=C\,e^{-t}+1[/itex].

1. How do I choose the most appropriate method for my experiment?

Choosing the right method for your experiment depends on several factors, such as the type of data you are collecting, the sample size, and the research question. It is important to thoroughly research and consider different methods before making a decision.

2. Can I use more than one method in my experiment?

Yes, it is common to use a combination of methods in an experiment, especially if you are trying to address a complex research question. Just make sure that the methods you choose are compatible and complement each other.

3. How do I ensure the reliability and validity of my chosen method?

To ensure reliability, you can conduct a pilot study to test your method and make any necessary adjustments. For validity, it is important to consider the potential biases and limitations of your chosen method and address them in your research design.

4. How do I properly document my method for future reference?

It is important to document your method in detail, including all the steps, materials, and equipment used. This will not only ensure accuracy and reproducibility but also help other researchers understand your experiment and replicate it.

5. What should I do if my results are not consistent with my chosen method?

If your results are not consistent, it could be due to various factors such as human error, equipment malfunction, or a flaw in your method. It is important to carefully analyze and troubleshoot the issue, and if necessary, make changes to your method or experiment design.