Partial Differential Equation Solving: Using Variable Change Method

• Thread starter jimbo007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Partial
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the partial differential equation \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2} - \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial y^2} + 2\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} + u = 0 and the attempt to solve it using a change of variables. The suggested solution is a separation of variables technique, using the substitutions \zeta=\zeta(x,y)=y-x and \eta=\eta(x,y)=y+x. Other possible forms for the variables are also mentioned. The conversation concludes with the problem being successfully solved.
jimbo007
hi all
i have been trying to solve to following problem,

[tex]
\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2} - \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial y^2}
+ 2\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} + u = 0
[/tex]

[tex]
u=u(x,y)
[/tex]

after a bit of work using the change of variables

[tex]
\zeta=\zeta(x,y)=y-x
[/tex]

and

[tex]
\eta=\eta(x,y)=y+x
[/tex]

i obtain

[tex]- 4\frac{\partial u}{\partial \zeta \partial \eta} = 2\frac{\partial u}{\partial\zeta} - 2\frac{\partial u}{\partial\eta}-u[/tex]

but i am unsure how to solve this, i used maple to solve this problem and it gave out a fairly harmless answer so i am pretty sure there would be any easy way to solve the above equation.

could someone kindly show me how to obtain a solution to this problem

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest a separation of variables solution,
u(x,y)=f(x)g(y)

Hi;
The first substitution to use is "running wave" substitution:
[tex]
z=x-ct
[/tex]
and you will have:
[tex]
\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2} - \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial y^2}
+ 2\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} + u = 0
[/tex]
[tex]
u_{xx}-u_{yy}+2u_x+u=0
[/tex]
[tex]
z=x-ct
[/tex]
[tex]
u_{zz}-c^2u_{zz}+2u_z+u=0
[/tex]
[tex]
(1-c^2)u_{zz}+2u_z+u=0
[/tex]
The last equation is a linear ODE of the 2nd order while c<>+1 and c<>-1. Otherwise we have the first order ODE
[tex]
2u_z+u=0
[/tex]
Anyways both equations are simple and can be solved easily.
Still, this is not the only way of reduction of the given PDE (there could be another substitutions v=v(u,x,y), z=z(u,x,y) that will give us ordinary DEs). If you need some other forms for v and z, let me know, I can find some for you.
Best of luck,
Max.

Here's a rather general solution using separation of variables:

[tex]u(x,y)=f(x)g(y)\to\frac{f''+2f'+f}{f}=\frac{g''}{g}[/tex]

2. Since LHS is a function of x, wheras RHS is a function of y, equality is only possible if they are equal to some constant k.
I set a subscript k on the functions at this moment:
[tex]\frac{f_{k}''+2f_{k}'+f_{k}}{f_{k}}=k\to{f}_{k}(x)=A_{k}e^{-x-\sqrt{k}x}+B_{k}e^{-x+\sqrt{k}x}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{g_{k}''}{g_{k}}=k\to{g}_{k}(x)=C_{k}e^{-\sqrt{k}y}+D_{k}e^{\sqrt{k}y}[/tex]

3. Since the original differential equation is linear, a sum of two solutions (for example, for different k-values) is also a solution, and we may write:

[tex]u(x,y)=[/tex]
[tex]e^{-x}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\mathcal{C}_{(k,+)}Cosh(\sqrt{k}(x+y))+\mathcal{C}_{(k,-)}Cosh(\sqrt{k}(x-y))dk+[/tex]
[tex]e^{-x}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\mathcal{S}_{(k,+)}Sinh(\sqrt{k}(x+y))+\mathcal{S}_{(k,-)}Sinh(\sqrt{k}(x-y))dk[/tex]

4. Negative values of k will yield trigonometric functions; the unknown functions of k,
[tex]\mathcal{C}_{(k,+)},\mathcal{C}_{(k,-)},\mathcal{S}_{(k,+)},\mathcal{S}_{(k,-)}[/tex]
may be suited to satisfy boundary conditions.

Last edited:
thanks for your help guys
i have the problem solved

What is a partial differential equation (PDE)?

A partial differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It is commonly used to model physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance.

What is the difference between a partial differential equation and an ordinary differential equation?

The main difference between a partial differential equation and an ordinary differential equation is that the former involves partial derivatives, while the latter only involves ordinary derivatives. This means that PDEs can have multiple independent variables, while ODEs only have one.

How do you solve a partial differential equation?

The solution of a PDE depends on its type and complexity. Generally, there are two main approaches to solving PDEs: analytical and numerical. Analytical methods involve finding closed-form solutions, while numerical methods involve approximating the solution using algorithms and computer simulations.

What are the common techniques for solving a partial differential equation?

Some common techniques for solving PDEs include separation of variables, method of characteristics, finite difference methods, finite element methods, and Fourier transform methods. The choice of technique depends on the type of PDE and the specific problem at hand.

What are some real-world applications of solving partial differential equations?

PDEs have a wide range of applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. Some examples include modeling fluid dynamics, heat transfer, financial derivatives, and population growth. PDEs also play a crucial role in the development of new technologies and advancements in science and engineering.