Solving a Polynomial Equation - Discussion in Fraleigh - Page 204

In summary, the conversation is about the relevance of the subfield F in Fraleigh's discussion of finding zeros of a polynomial. The speaker is unsure of its significance and is seeking clarification. It is suggested that the use of F may be related to the classical problem of splitting a polynomial over the integers.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading John Fraleigh's book, A First Course in Abstract Algebra.

I am at present reading Section 22: Rings of Polynomials.

I need some help with an aspect of Fraleigh's discussion of "solving a polynomial equation" or "finding a zero of a polynomial" ...

The relevant text in Fraleigh is as follows:View attachment 4560

In the above text, we read the following:

" ... ... In terms of this definition, we can rephrase the classical problem of finding all real numbers r such that \(\displaystyle r^2 + r - 6 = 0\) by letting \(\displaystyle F = \mathbb{Q}\) and \(\displaystyle E = \mathbb{R}\) and finding all \(\displaystyle \alpha \in \mathbb{R}\) such that

\(\displaystyle \phi_\alpha ( x^2 + x - 6 ) = 0
\)

that is finding all zeros of \(\displaystyle x^2 + x - 6\) in \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R}\) ... ... "My question is as follows:

What is the relevance of the field \(\displaystyle F\)? It appears that if we made \(\displaystyle F = \mathbb{R}\) we would have achieved the same result ... .. indeed (if we regard a field as a subfield of itself) we could have taken \(\displaystyle F = E\) and achieved the same result ...

Can someone please explain the relevance of the subfield \(\displaystyle F\)? ... ... I am sure that I am missing something ...

Peter
*** NOTE ***I do understand that changing \(\displaystyle F\) changes the nature/type of the polynomials that can be input to the homomorphism \(\displaystyle \phi_\alpha\) since the co-efficients of the polynomial come from \(\displaystyle F\) ... but still do not really see the point or relevance of the subfield \(\displaystyle F\) ...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter,

I could be wrong about this, but I think it comes down to the word "classical" used by Fraleigh. If I'm not mistaken, the classical problem is to split a polynomial over the integers, and it is known that this is equivalent to splitting a polynomial over the field $\mathbb{Q}$ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factorization_of_polynomials)

1. What is a polynomial equation?

A polynomial equation is an equation that involves one or more variables raised to integer powers and the coefficients are real numbers. The highest power of the variable in the equation is called the degree of the polynomial.

2. How do you solve a polynomial equation?

To solve a polynomial equation, you need to use various algebraic techniques such as factoring, the quadratic formula, or the method of completing the square. The goal is to manipulate the equation in order to isolate the variable and find its value.

3. What is the difference between a real and a complex solution to a polynomial equation?

A real solution to a polynomial equation is a value for the variable that makes the equation true when substituted in. A complex solution is a value for the variable that involves imaginary numbers. Complex solutions often come in pairs since the solutions must satisfy the complex conjugate property.

4. Can all polynomial equations be solved?

No, not all polynomial equations can be solved. Some equations may have no real solutions or may have solutions that involve complex numbers. Additionally, some equations are unsolvable with algebraic methods and may require numerical methods to approximate a solution.

5. How can solving polynomial equations be applied in real-life situations?

Polynomial equations are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics to model relationships between different variables. By solving these equations, we can determine the values of these variables and make predictions or solve real-world problems.