Solving a RNG Problem: What is the Expected Value of N?

In summary, the conversation was about a specific question regarding the expected value of a random number generator picking an integer from 1 to N. The speaker was wondering if there is a specific name for this type of problem, where the parameters of the random number generator are the focus. A helpful link was provided for further information on the topic.
{???}
TL;DR Summary
A RNG picks an integer uniformly from 1 to N. It picks 4. What is the expected value of N?
Hey all,

So this time I have a different kind of question - namely, "what is this called?"
I recall hearing/reading this in at least two places, one of which was YouTube. The idea is the following:
A RNG picks an integer uniformly from 1 to N. It picks 4. What is the expected value of N?
I'm pretty sure I know how to solve this problem. My question is the following: Is there a name for this problem, or problems like it? Where the parameters of the random number generator are the thing you're trying to determine?

Cheers,
QM

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is a RNG problem?

A RNG (Random Number Generator) problem is a mathematical problem that involves generating a sequence of random numbers. These problems are often encountered in statistics, computer science, and other fields where randomness is important.

2. How is the expected value of N calculated?

The expected value of N in a RNG problem is calculated by taking the sum of all possible outcomes of N multiplied by their respective probabilities. This value represents the average or most likely outcome of N in a given RNG problem.

3. Why is the expected value of N important?

The expected value of N is important because it allows us to make predictions about the outcome of a RNG problem. It also helps us understand the behavior of a random process and make informed decisions based on the likelihood of certain outcomes.

4. Can the expected value of N be negative?

Yes, the expected value of N can be negative. This can occur when the probabilities of the outcomes are weighted towards negative values, resulting in a negative overall expected value. However, in most cases, the expected value of N is a positive number.

5. How does the sample size affect the expected value of N?

The sample size can affect the expected value of N in a RNG problem. As the sample size increases, the expected value of N becomes more accurate and closer to the true expected value. This is because a larger sample size allows for a more representative sample of all possible outcomes.