Solving a Similarity Problem - Find AB

• Thread starter Misr
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a circle with a given diameter and point AD. The task is to find the length of AB, but the problem does not specify whether AB is a tangent or not. The speaker is able to solve it assuming AB is a tangent, but is unsure if that is the intended scenario. The other person agrees that AB is most likely a tangent and thanks the speaker for their help.
Misr
Hello there ,
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/3118/circlem.jpg

As you see the diameter = 5cm and AD = 4cm
the required is to find AB
it seems quite easy ,its just 6cm. I can solve it but when supposing that AB is a tangent (and this is not given in the problem) also i can't make use of the right angle opposite to the radius of this circle , so there must be something wrong with my answer.

so ,can u help?
Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Misr! :smile:
Misr said:
… I can solve it but when supposing that AB is a tangent (and this is not given in the problem) …

(hmm … not exactly to scale, is it? :rolleyes:)

I'm sure AB is intended to be a tangent …

otherwise, B could be anywhere! :biggrin:

Yes I think so too
its just tangent

Thanks for help .

1. What is a similarity problem?

A similarity problem involves finding the relationship between two or more objects that share similar characteristics or properties. In mathematics, a similarity problem typically refers to finding the missing side or angle measurements of similar geometric figures.

2. How do you solve a similarity problem?

To solve a similarity problem, you need to first identify the given information and the unknown measurements. Then, you can use the properties of similar figures, such as corresponding angles or proportional side lengths, to set up and solve a proportion or an equation.

3. What is the formula for finding AB in a similarity problem?

In a similarity problem, AB refers to the length of a side or segment that is unknown. To find AB, you can use the formula AB = (BC * DE) / EF, where BC, DE, and EF represent corresponding side lengths of similar figures.

4. Can a similarity problem have multiple solutions?

Yes, a similarity problem can have multiple solutions. This can occur when there are more than one pair of similar figures that satisfy the given conditions. It is important to carefully check the given information and any assumptions made to ensure that all solutions are valid.

5. How can you check if your solution to a similarity problem is correct?

To check if your solution is correct, you can use the properties of similar figures to verify that the corresponding angles and side lengths are proportional. You can also substitute your solution into the original problem to see if it satisfies all given conditions.