Solving a Statics Problem with F=80N

• Thread starter ebinesos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statics
In summary, the problem involves finding the magnitude of the components of a force, F, that is acting straight down. The bars AB and AC are at angles of 30 and 70 degrees respectively. The dot product must be used, but it is unclear which angle to use it with. Attempting to add the components will not equal the original force.
ebinesos
hey all. I'm having problems with what should be a simple statics problem.

"The Magnitude of force F is 80.0 N. What are the madnitude of its components a) F\ab and b) F\ac that are parallel to the bars AB and AC respectively."

The picture: Force F pointing straight down. bar AB pointing 30 left of straight up (NW), and and bar AC pointing 70 degrees left of straight up (NW also).

I know i need to use the dot product somehwhere, but I can't determine what i need to do it with respect to. But I did rotate the problem 90 degrees CCW, and had the resulting equation:

|80*F\ac|cos110 + |80*F\ab|cos150=0

additional question: will F\ab + F\ac = 80. When adding up all those forces this problem doesn't seem to be in static equallibrium...

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
No, adding the force onto each bar will not equal the original force.

Each component part of your equation is right, but I do not understand why you are trying to add the components. When you see a force written as F=#i+#j, the 'i' and 'j' are 90 degrees apart.

for reaching out for help with your statics problem. It seems like you have a good understanding of the problem and are on the right track with using the dot product. To solve for the magnitude of the components, you will need to use the dot product with respect to the direction of each bar, AB and AC. This will give you two equations with two unknowns (F\ab and F\ac) that you can solve simultaneously.

Regarding your additional question, yes, F\ab + F\ac should equal 80N. This is known as the principle of superposition, which states that the total force on an object is equal to the sum of all the individual forces acting on it. If the forces do not add up to 80N, then there may be an error in your calculations or assumptions.

It is also important to note that in a statics problem, the forces should add up to zero in order for the object to be in equilibrium. If your equations are not resulting in a zero sum, double check your calculations and make sure all forces and angles are accounted for correctly.

I hope this helps you solve your problem. If you continue to have trouble, don't hesitate to reach out for further assistance. Good luck!

1. How do I determine the direction of the force?

The direction of the force can be determined by looking at the given problem and understanding the direction in which the force is being applied. If the force is being applied in a horizontal direction, it is considered to be positive, and if it is being applied in a vertical direction, it is considered to be negative.

2. Do I need to consider the weight of the object in the problem?

Yes, the weight of the object should be considered when solving a statics problem. The weight is a force acting in the downward direction, and it should be included in the calculations along with any other given forces.

3. How do I calculate the magnitude of the force?

The magnitude of the force can be calculated by using the formula F=ma, where m is the mass of the object and a is the acceleration. In a statics problem, the acceleration is usually zero, so the magnitude of the force would simply be the given value of 80N.

4. Can I use trigonometry to solve a statics problem with F=80N?

Yes, trigonometry can be used to solve a statics problem with a force of 80N. Trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent can be used to calculate the components of the force in different directions, which can then be used in the overall calculations.

5. Is there a specific order in which I should solve a statics problem with F=80N?

There is no specific order in which you must solve a statics problem. However, it is recommended to start by drawing a free body diagram and listing all the given forces. Then, use the equations of equilibrium to solve for any unknown values. Finally, check your solution by ensuring that all forces are balanced and the object is in equilibrium.