1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving a system of linear equations

1. Jan 20, 2009 #1

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find out if the following system of equation has solution. In case of having solutions, describe parametrically them all and give 2 of them explicitly.

2. The attempt at a solution
    I don't see nowhere in my notes what they want by "describe parametrically".
    Anyway I've solved the system and it has only one solution : x=2, y=-5/2 and z=0.
    As I just typed them, it is the explicit solution... I don't see how I could give 2 of them if there is only 1 solution. And much less parametrically.
    Do you know what they mean?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2009 #2

Staff: Mentor

Your answer is the same as I got. I believe that the problem was asking was that if there were multiple solutions (which would then depend on one or two parameters), you should give two specific solutions. In this case, there is only one solution, and you have given it, so you're done.
  4. Jan 20, 2009 #3

Gold Member

Ah ok!! This is quite possible because there was more than one system of equations to solve.
    Thank you.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?