Solving a Trig Equation (Correct?)

• Thread starter whyorwhynot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the given expression can be factored into (sin x - 1)(sin x + 2) as an algebraic expression of a single trig function, using the identity cos2x + sin2x = 1.
whyorwhynot

Homework Statement

Write this expression in factored for as an algebraic expression of a single trig function (e.g., (2 sin x+3)(sin x-1):

sin x - cos2x - 1

Homework Equations

cos2x + sin2x = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

1) cos2x + sin2x = 1
2) sin2x = 1-cos2x
3) -cos2x = cos2x so sin2x = -cos2x+1

But the problem calls for -cos2x-1. Would the resulting function be sin2x - (-sin2x)?

4) sin x (sin x + sin x)

I'm not certain that I did it correctly :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
Recheck your third statement. -cos2x is not equal to cos2x except when the cosine is 0.

Hi CaptainADHD! :smile:

Please don't give out complete answers on this forum.

tiny-tim said:
Hi CaptainADHD! :smile:

Please don't give out complete answers on this forum.

Well, having the rank of captain the the attention deficit and impulse control army doesn't go well with discretion.

Can you give me the power to edit my old posts or something? I don't want to get myself banned.

CaptainADHD said:
Can you give me the power to edit my old posts or something?

I think there's only a 24-hour "edit window".

I will help you a little bit.

cos2x=1-sin2x

Substitute for cos2 in sinx-cos2x-1. After doing the mathematical operations, you will get quadratic equation at the end which you need to find out, and write in the form: a(x-x1)(x-x2), where a is the coefficient before y2
(ay2+by+c=0)

Strange a quadratic equation with seemingly two solutions, but only one works?

@JANm
Look at the first post. The question is how to "factor" the whole expression, not to solve it.

If the question was to solve it, than one of the solutions will worked out? Why?

Because [tex]-1 \leq sin(x) \leq 1[/tex], so sin(x)=-2 will not be the solution.

So we get sin^2(x)+sin(x)-2,
(sin(x)-x_1)*(sin(x)-x_2),
x_1,2=(-1+/-sqrt(1+8))/2=> x1=1, x2=-2,
the factorisation is (sin(x)-1)*(sin(x)+2).

1. What is a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that involves trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, tangent, etc. The goal of solving a trigonometric equation is to find the values of the unknown variable that make the equation true.

2. How do you solve a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you need to use algebraic techniques such as factoring, combining like terms, and using trigonometric identities. You also need to have a good understanding of the properties of trigonometric functions.

3. What are the common trigonometric identities used in solving equations?

Some of the common trigonometric identities used in solving equations include Pythagorean identities, double-angle identities, and half-angle identities. These identities can help simplify trigonometric expressions and make equations easier to solve.

4. Can you use a calculator to solve a trigonometric equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve a trigonometric equation. However, it is important to note that calculators may not always give exact solutions and may round the answers. It is always recommended to check your answers using algebraic techniques.

5. What are some tips for solving trigonometric equations?

Some tips for solving trigonometric equations include first identifying the type of equation (e.g. quadratic, exponential, etc.), using algebraic techniques to simplify the equation, and checking for extraneous solutions. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of the unit circle and trigonometric values for common angles.