Solving Algebraic Equations: Need Help?

• Thread starter bon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Type
In summary, to solve for a variable in an algebraic equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation using inverse operations. The steps for solving an algebraic equation include combining like terms, isolating the variable, using the distributive property, dividing by the coefficient, and checking the solution. There are some common patterns and shortcuts that can be used for certain types of equations, but it is important to understand the underlying concepts for solving any algebraic equation.

bon

Homework Statement

Please see attached

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure how to begin actually...

I've tried taking logs of both sides and using sterling's approximation but it came to nothing... :(

Any ideas? Thanksss

Attachments

• maths1.pdf
    98.3 KB · Views: 204
Physics news on Phys.org
any ideas anyone?

They are using things like (N/2+m)!/(N/2)!=(N/2+m)*(N/2+(m-1))*...*(N/2+1). Expand the right side keeping only the two highest powers of N/2. You get (N/2)^m+(m+(m-1)+...+2+1)*(N/2)^(m-1).

1. How do I solve for a variable in an algebraic equation?

To solve for a variable in an algebraic equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. This can be done by performing inverse operations, such as addition/subtraction or multiplication/division, to both sides of the equation until the variable is alone on one side.

2. What are the steps for solving an algebraic equation?

The steps for solving an algebraic equation are:

1. Combine like terms on both sides of the equation.
  2. Use inverse operations to isolate the variable on one side of the equation.
  3. If necessary, use the distributive property to remove parentheses.
  4. Divide both sides by the coefficient of the variable to solve for the variable.
  5. Check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation.

3. How do I know if my solution to an algebraic equation is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if both sides are equal. If they are equal, then your solution is correct. Alternatively, you can also use a calculator to evaluate both sides of the equation and see if they are equal.

4. Can I solve any algebraic equation using the same steps?

Yes, the same steps can be used to solve any algebraic equation. However, the complexity of the equation may vary and require more steps or use of different algebraic techniques.

5. Are there any tricks or shortcuts for solving algebraic equations?

There are some common patterns or shortcuts that can be used to solve certain types of algebraic equations, such as using the quadratic formula to solve quadratic equations or using the zero product property to solve equations with factors. However, these are specific techniques that may not apply to all equations, and it is important to understand the underlying concepts and steps for solving equations.

Suggested for: Solving Algebraic Equations: Need Help?

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views