Solving an integer with FFT in matlab

In summary, the problem requires using FFT in MATLAB to find the value of an integer within the range of [-infinity, infinity] using the function x^2*exp(-x^2)*dx. The individual attempted to solve the problem by researching the Fourier transform and consulting textbooks and MATLAB, but was unable to find a solution. They then attempted to use the FFT and inverse FFT functions in MATLAB, and suggest checking the help system for further guidance.
ser23

Homework Statement

Hi, I hope someone could help me, I have been trying to solve this problem with FFT in matlab, why?, because my teacher gave it as homework. The problem is the following.

Obtain the value of the following integer using FFT:

Homework Equations

the integer goes from [-infinte, infinite], and the function is x^2*exp(-x^2)*dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I checked the definition of the Fourier transform and I checked in books, MATLAB everywhere and I can't find any info that could help me, I hope someone here can, THANK YOU.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty new to the transform but I have been doing some FFTs in MATLAB lately and this is what I've been doing:

first you have to find the amplitudes with:

Y = fft(...)

then you have to do the inverse FFT to find your answer:

y = ifft(..)

check the help system for the arguments and i think you'll see how to do it.

Hello,

Using the FFT in matlab to solve this problem is a valid approach. The first step would be to discretize the function using a set of equally spaced points, as the FFT algorithm requires a discrete input. Next, you would take the FFT of the discretized function, which would give you another function in the frequency domain. From there, you can use the inverse FFT to obtain the solution in the time domain. However, it is important to note that the FFT is typically used for solving differential equations and may not be the most efficient method for solving this specific problem. It would be helpful to consult with your teacher or a TA for guidance on the specific approach they are expecting for this homework assignment. Good luck!

FAQ: Solving an integer with FFT in matlab

1. How does the Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) method work in solving integers in matlab?

The FFT method is a mathematical algorithm that allows for efficient computation of the Discrete Fourier Transform (DFT) of a sequence or signal. This method is used in matlab to decompose a signal into its frequency components, which can then be used to solve integer problems by analyzing the frequency spectrum.

2. Can the FFT method be used to solve any type of integer problem in matlab?

Yes, the FFT method can be used to solve a wide range of integer problems in matlab, including linear and nonlinear equations, optimization problems, and even some types of differential equations.

3. How accurate are the solutions obtained using the FFT method in matlab?

The accuracy of the solutions obtained using the FFT method in matlab depends on various factors such as the size of the input data, the precision of the calculations, and any limitations in the algorithm. However, in general, the solutions obtained using this method are highly accurate and can be relied upon for most applications.

4. Are there any limitations to using the FFT method in matlab for solving integers?

While the FFT method is a powerful tool for solving integer problems in matlab, it does have some limitations. For instance, it may not be suitable for problems with highly complex or irregular data, and it may also be affected by numerical errors in certain cases. It is important to carefully consider the problem at hand and choose the appropriate method for solving it.

5. Are there any alternative methods to the FFT method for solving integers in matlab?

Yes, there are several alternative methods for solving integers in matlab, such as the Jacobi method, the Gauss-Seidel method, and the Newton-Raphson method. Each of these methods has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method will depend on the specific problem being solved.