Solving an Integral Problem: Find Volume of Solid

• Thread starter Metal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the calculation of the volume of a solid obtained by rotating a 2D shape around the x-axis. The individual provides a solution involving finding the points of intersection and using integrals, but is unsure how to calculate the volume. Another individual explains that the volume can be found by using the formula \pi \int\limits_a^b {f\left( x \right)^2 dx}, which involves integrating the function squared over the interval. The concept of rotating a 2D shape to create a 3D shape is also explained.
Metal
Hello, I'm new around here. I was having trouble with a problem, i thought i could look for help on the net. Anyway here's the problem:

Calculate the volume of a solid obtained by the rotation around Ox of all points (x,y) in RxR where y >= x*x, y <= square root of x and y <= 1/(8x).

What I did was:
1/(8x) = x*x so x = 1/2
1/(8x) = square root of x so x = 1/4

And then i found the integrals which are:
+ Integral of square root of x times dx between 0 and 1/4
- Integral of x * x times dx between 0 and 1/4
+ Integral of 1/(8x) times dx between 1/4 and 1/2
- Integral of x * x times dx between 1/4 and 1/2

So this gives me the area, but i have no idea on how to calculate the volume.
Hope someone can help.

Tks...
And I'm sorry about my english, this is my first time writing math in english.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have found the correct points of intersection which divides your problem into to areas: from 0 to 1/4 and then from 1/4 to 1/2.

For a function f(x), the volume of the solid of revolution obtained by rotating f(x) about the x-axis between x=a and x=b is given by:

[tex]
\pi \int\limits_a^b {f\left( x \right)^2 dx}
[/tex]

So you don't need the area -> no need to find the integrals you listed.
Do you think you can take it from here? If not: ask for help :smile:

Ok, tks...
But why does this integral calculates this volume?

I mean... you took those integrals i made and multiplied each for its f(x) and for pi. Why does that make the volume?

Again sorry about any wrong english.

Last edited:
If you revolve f(x) about the x-axis, you create 'circles' at each x-value with center (x,0) and radius f(x), perpendicular to the x-axis of course. To obtain the volume, you need to add all the areas of the discs, with the area given by pi*r² with r the radius. Here, r is f(x) so you integrate pi*f(x)² over the interval. Is that clear enough?

Because, the formula rotates the 2D shape around the x axis. Imagine drawing a triangle form the orgin to some point x = b. Now imaging rotating that triangle around the x-axis. If you are having problems visualising this, draw it in a piece of paper, cut it out and rotate the triangle towards you. Now, if you follow the outline of this triangle, you have formed a 3D cone. The integral gives the volume enclosed by the cone.

Edit: Apologies for jumping in TD

Last edited:
Hootenanny said:
Edit: Apologies for jumping in TD
No problem at all!

Oh I see... That was quite obvious actually... Tks.

You're welcome :smile:

Related to Solving an Integral Problem: Find Volume of Solid

1. How do I approach solving an integral problem to find the volume of a solid?

The first step in solving an integral problem to find the volume of a solid is to identify the shape of the solid and the limits of integration. Then, use the appropriate formula for finding the volume, such as the disk method or shell method. Finally, set up and solve the integral using the limits of integration and the formula.

2. What is the difference between the disk method and the shell method for finding the volume of a solid?

The disk method is used for solids with circular cross-sections, while the shell method is used for solids with cylindrical or rectangular cross-sections. The disk method integrates in the direction perpendicular to the axis of rotation, while the shell method integrates in the direction parallel to the axis of rotation.

3. Can I use the disk or shell method for any type of solid?

No, the disk and shell methods can only be used for solids with known cross-sections. If the solid has a changing cross-section, another method, such as the washer method, must be used.

4. How do I know which limits of integration to use for an integral problem to find the volume of a solid?

The limits of integration are determined by the boundaries of the solid in the given problem. These boundaries can be identified by drawing a graph or visualizing the solid in three dimensions. The limits of integration should correspond to the axis of rotation and the cross-section of the solid.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for solving an integral problem to find the volume of a solid?

As with any type of mathematical problem, it is important to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it. It can also be helpful to draw a diagram and label the known information. Additionally, practice and familiarizing yourself with different types of solids and their corresponding volume formulas can make solving integral problems easier.