What Steps Are Needed to Solve This Integral Problem?

• I
  • Thread starter EngWiPy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses solving the integral \int_0^{\infty}\frac{\ln(1+\alpha\,x)}{(1+x)^2}\,dx using integration by parts and partial fractions. The correct substitution to use is found in Integral (14) of a given table. The limit as x approaches infinity is also discussed, with the conclusion that ln(1) equals 0.
EngWiPy
Hi,

I am trying to solve this integral:

[tex]\int_0^{\infty}\frac{\ln(1+\alpha\,x)}{(1+x)^2}\,dx[/tex]

Using integration by parts this can be written as:

[tex]-\frac{1}{1+x}\ln(1+\alpha\,x)\Big|_0^{\infty}\Big. + \alpha\int_0^{\infty}\frac{1}{(1+x)(1+\alpha\,x)}\,dx[/tex]

The first term evaluates to zero. The second term can be evaluated using partial fractions as:

[tex]\int_0^{\infty}\frac{A}{1+x}\,dx+\int_0^{\infty}\frac{\alpha B}{1+\alpha x}\,dx[/tex]

But these integrals aren't finite, are they? A paper I was reading evaluted the original integral to

[tex]\frac{\alpha}{\alpha-1}\ln(\alpha)[/tex]

and I wonder how did the authors reached this result? Did I do something wrong?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks. I searched for a similar formula in the Table of Integrals, Series, and Products, but didn't find one! Applying the formula implies that

[tex]\lim_{x\to\infty}\,\,\ln\left(\frac{1+x}{\alpha^{-1}+x}\right) = 0[/tex]

Why? How to mathematically show this is the case? Do we need to use the Taylor series expansion?

EngWiPy said:
Why? How to mathematically show this is the case? Do we need to use the Taylor series expansion?

When ##x >>(1, ~\alpha^{-1})##, ##\frac{1+x}{~\alpha^{-1}+x}\approx\frac{x}{x}=1##. What is ##\ln(1)##?

Likes EngWiPy
kuruman said:
When ##x >>(1, ~\alpha^{-1})##, ##\frac{1+x}{~\alpha^{-1}+x}\approx\frac{x}{x}=1##. What is ##\ln(1)##?

Right. ##\ln(1) = 0##. Approximations make things easy. Thanks a lot

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to find the total value of a function over a given interval.

What is the process for solving an integral?

The process for solving an integral involves finding the antiderivative of the function, evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of the interval, and then subtracting the two values.

What are some common methods for solving integrals?

Some common methods for solving integrals include substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. Each method is used depending on the complexity of the integral and the type of function being integrated.

Why is it important to solve integrals?

Solving integrals is important in many fields of science and mathematics. It allows for the calculation of important quantities such as area, volume, and displacement, and is used in various applications such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What are some tips for solving integrals?

Some tips for solving integrals include carefully choosing the method to use, practicing with different types of integrals, and being familiar with common integrals and their solutions. It is also important to check your answer by differentiating it to ensure it is correct.