Solving Circuit with Ideal Ammeter: 4.0 Ohm Resistance

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit setup with an ideal ammeter connected across a 4.0 ohm resistor. The question asks for the reading of the ammeter, but there is confusion on whether the ammeter is connected correctly and whether the circuit needs to be simplified. The suggestion is made to replace the ammeter with a no resistance wire and solve the circuit. It is mentioned that the ammeter is not connected properly, but the current still needs to be calculated in its current setup.
Abysmaltan

Homework Statement

A circuit is setup with an ideal ammeter connected across the 4.0 ohm. What will the reading of the ammeter be?

2. The attempt at a solution
I am not sure whether the question is testing my understanding on how an ammeter should be connected in a circuit or about how to simplify circuits. I know that an ammeter must be connected in series in a circuit, but I cannot tell whether the one in the diagram is connected so. Or do I need to simplify the circuit such that the parallel-series combination of the circuit is more apparent?

Attachments

• IMG_20160617_140353.jpg
    IMG_20160617_140353.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
An ideal ammeter can simply be replaced by no resistance wire for solving circuit related problems .Replace the ammeter by no resistance wire and then try to solve it.

Abysmaltan said:
2. The attempt at a solution
I am not sure whether the question is testing my understanding on how an ammeter should be connected in a circuit or about how to simplify circuits. I know that an ammeter must be connected in series in a circuit, but I cannot tell whether the one in the diagram is connected so. Or do I need to simplify the circuit such that the parallel-series combination of the circuit is more apparent?
Yes, the ammeter is not connected in the proper way, but you have to calculate the current through it as it is. Do what harsh_sinha said.

Q1: What is an ideal ammeter?

An ideal ammeter is a type of electrical measuring instrument that is designed to measure the electric current in a circuit. It has zero resistance and therefore does not affect the current in the circuit it is measuring.

Q2: How do you solve a circuit using an ideal ammeter?

To solve a circuit using an ideal ammeter, you first need to connect the ammeter in series with the component or circuit you want to measure. Then, using Ohm's Law (V=IR), you can calculate the current in the circuit by dividing the voltage (V) by the resistance (R).

Q3: What is the purpose of using an ideal ammeter?

The purpose of using an ideal ammeter is to accurately measure the current in a circuit without altering the current flow. This is important in order to make precise calculations and analysis of the circuit's behavior.

Q4: Why is the resistance of an ideal ammeter considered to be zero?

The resistance of an ideal ammeter is considered to be zero because it is assumed to have no effect on the current in the circuit it is measuring. In reality, all ammeters have some resistance, but in an ideal case, this resistance is negligible.

Q5: Can an ideal ammeter be used in any circuit?

No, an ideal ammeter can only be used in circuits where the current is known or can be easily calculated. It cannot be used in circuits where the current is too high, as it may damage the ammeter or affect the accuracy of the measurement.