Solving Coefficient not using Fourier Series coefficient

In summary, the speaker is discussing the Laplace's equation with several boundary conditions and finding the general solution, including one condition of u(1,y)=y(1-y). They then discuss finding the Fourier series coefficients without using the Fourier series coefficient method.
Alana02011114
Given the Laplace's equation with several boundary conditions. finally i got the general solution u(x,t).
One of the condition is that:
u(1,y)=y(1-y)

After working on this I finally got:
∑An sin(π n y )sinh (π n) = y(1-y)

However, i was asked to find An, by not using Fourier series coefficient, Is it possible to do so? Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Alana02011114 said:
Given the Laplace's equation with several boundary conditions. finally i got the general solution u(x,t).
One of the condition is that:
u(1,y)=y(1-y)

After working on this I finally got:
∑An sin(π n y )sinh (π n) = y(1-y)

However, i was asked to find An, by not using Fourier series coefficient, Is it possible to do so? Cheers

No, I don't think so. That hint usually arises in a situation where, if your equation were$$\sum_{n=1}^\infty A_n\sinh(\pi n)\sin(n\pi y) = 5\sin(3\pi y)$$where you could immediately say$$A_3 \sinh(3\pi) = 5$$ and all the other ##A_n=0##.

1. What is the purpose of solving coefficient without using Fourier Series coefficient?

The purpose of solving coefficient without using Fourier Series coefficient is to find alternative methods for solving problems that involve coefficients. This can be useful in situations where the Fourier Series coefficient method is not applicable or when a more efficient solution is needed.

2. How is solving coefficient without Fourier Series coefficient different from using it?

Solving coefficient without using Fourier Series coefficient involves finding coefficients through other mathematical techniques such as linear algebra or quadratic equations. This differs from using Fourier Series coefficient, which involves finding coefficients through a series of trigonometric functions.

3. What are some common techniques for solving coefficient without using Fourier Series coefficient?

Some common techniques for solving coefficient without using Fourier Series coefficient include least squares regression, matrix manipulation, and polynomial interpolation. These techniques can be applied to a variety of problems to find coefficients without relying on the Fourier Series method.

4. Can solving coefficient without using Fourier Series coefficient be used in all situations?

No, solving coefficient without using Fourier Series coefficient is not suitable for all situations. Some problems may have specific properties that make the Fourier Series method the most efficient or accurate approach. It is important to carefully consider the problem at hand before deciding on the best coefficient-solving method to use.

5. How can I determine which method is best for solving coefficients in a particular problem?

The best method for solving coefficients in a particular problem will depend on the specific problem and its properties. It is important to carefully evaluate the problem and consider factors such as efficiency, accuracy, and ease of implementation when determining which method to use. Consulting with a mathematics expert or conducting research on various coefficient-solving techniques can also help in making this decision.