Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving electrostatic, rotationally symmetric 3D problem with conformal mapping?

1. Jan 2, 2008 #1
    I heard that one can solve 2D problem with conformal mapping of complex numbers.
    Is it possible to use this method for 3D axial-rotationally symmetric problems (which are effectively 2D with a new term in the differential equation)?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2008 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Azimuthally symmetric 3D problems have different solutions than 2D ones, so solution approaches are not interchangeable. Take a cut through a cylinder including the axis--it looks like a rectangle, but radial solutions are Bessel functions. The sine/cosine solutions you'd get from solving it as a 2D rectangle are flat out wrong.

4. Jan 3, 2008 #3
    I know that.
    I was wondering if one can still use some kind of complex variable method such as conformal mapping to treat this 2D problem.

5. Jan 3, 2008 #4

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To be clear on what you mean by "this" 2D problem:
    Solution of 2D problem in a planar boundary like rectangle--yes
    Solution of 3D azimuthally symmetric problems--no.

Actually, Weber recounts that Maxwell evaluated the capacitance of parallel plates with guard rings by approximating as a 2D conjugate-function solution valid far from the axis. The general answer is no.

Weber, Electromagnetic Fields, Vol. 1: Mapping and Fields, Wiley, 1950.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?