Solving energy-momentum equations for lamba decay

In summary, the problem involves the decay of a lambda particle into a proton and a pion. The rest masses for each particle are given and the goal is to find the energy of the pion and the energy of the lambda before the decay. Using the energy-momentum 4-vector equation, we can determine that the energy of the pion is 178 MeV/c^2. However, there must also be some energy from the initial momentum of the lambda, which requires conservation of momentum. By writing a 4-vector equation for both the initial and final momenta, the missing parameter can be solved for and the energy of the lambda before decay can be determined.
jturko

Homework Statement

A lambda particle decays into a proton (at rest) and a pion. The rest masses are:
lambda: 1116 MeV/c^2
pion: 140 MeV/c^2
proton: 938 MeV/c^2

we want to find the energy of the
a) pion
b) lambda (before decay)

Homework Equations

I am assuming we need to use the energy-momentum 4-vector equation
E2=(mc2)2 + (pc)2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I think we know in the lab frame that the momentum of the pion and the lambda are the same, since the proton is at rest. So the energy of the pion must be its rest mass plus the mass deficit from the lambda; 140+(1116-(140+938))=140+38=178 , but there must be some energy that is from the initial momentum of the lambda. Could there be a missing parameter? I am unsure how you would figure out how much energy would be from the momentum without any other information.

Physics news on Phys.org
You must also conserve momentum, write a 4-vector eqn 4-momentum in = 4-momentum out. That will also handle energy conservation.

Awesome! thank you, I was just regrouping my terms sloppily. Once looking at the 4 momenta it became clear very quickly!

1. What is the energy-momentum equation for lambda decay?

The energy-momentum equation for lambda decay is E=pc, where E is the energy, p is the momentum, and c is the speed of light.

2. How is the energy-momentum equation used to solve for lambda decay?

The energy-momentum equation is used to calculate the energy or momentum of the particles involved in lambda decay, which can help determine the outcome of the decay process.

3. Can the energy-momentum equation be applied to all types of lambda decay?

Yes, the energy-momentum equation can be applied to all types of lambda decay, as it is a fundamental equation in physics that describes the relationship between energy and momentum.

4. How does solving energy-momentum equations for lambda decay contribute to our understanding of the universe?

By solving energy-momentum equations for lambda decay, we can gain insights into the fundamental forces and interactions that govern the behavior of particles in the universe. This knowledge is essential for understanding the underlying principles of the universe.

5. Are there any limitations to using the energy-momentum equation for lambda decay?

The energy-momentum equation is a simplified model that does not take into account certain factors such as relativity and quantum mechanics. Therefore, it may not accurately predict the behavior of particles in some situations. However, it is still a valuable tool for understanding and analyzing lambda decay processes.