Solving equations in excel or other solvers

In summary: However, 0.46 = X - 55.46 = XThis means the first part of the question cannot be solved. For the second part, 1.14 = X - 56.14 = Xand0.36 = X - 55.36 = XSo the second part can be solved by setting VR=6.14 and VR=5.36 for the different values of X and Y. However, this does not satisfy the requirement of finding values that are close (within 15%) to the given values of X and Y. Therefore, there is no optimal solution that can be found.
likephysics
Need to find optimal solution by solving 2 equations

X= VR*(R2+R1)/R2 - VN*R1/R2
Y= VR*(R2+R1)/R2 - VP*R1/R2

VP, VN are fixed. VP=5 & VN=0
VR can change. R1,R2 should be same.
How do I find a combo of VR, R1, R2 so that -

X = 0.46 & Y = 0.214 (this part is easy)

The same values of R1, R2 (but VR may be different) should yield -
X = 1.14 & Y = 0.36

I want the X & Y values to be close(15%) to these, not necessarily exact.

How do I do it in excel or some other free math tools?

Physics news on Phys.org
likephysics said:
Need to find optimal solution by solving 2 equations

X= VR*(R2+R1)/R2 - VN*R1/R2
Y= VR*(R2+R1)/R2 - VP*R1/R2

VP, VN are fixed. VP=5 & VN=0
VR can change. R1,R2 should be same.
How do I find a combo of VR, R1, R2 so that -

X = 0.46 & Y = 0.214 (this part is easy)

The same values of R1, R2 (but VR may be different) should yield -
X = 1.14 & Y = 0.36

I want the X & Y values to be close(15%) to these, not necessarily exact.

How do I do it in excel or some other free math tools?

How would you do it in a paid tool? The point is, you need to formulate the answer MATHEMATICALLY. Translating that into a tool, free or paid, is usually trivial.

"If you can't do it without a computer then WITH a computer it will just take you more time to not be able to do it"

likephysics, do you have the Solver plug-in for Excel? In general, that would be useful for problems like this. However, this problem appears unsolveable:

If R1 and R2 are the same, then (since R1=R2) your equations become

X= VR*2 - VN*1
Y= VR*2 - VP*1​

Moreover, if VN=0 and VP=5,

X = VR*2
Y= VR*2 - 5 = X - 5​

So only solutions where Y=X-5 are possible.

1. How do I use Excel to solve equations?

To solve equations in Excel, you can use the built-in "Solver" tool. First, set up your equation in a spreadsheet, with the variables in separate cells. Then, go to the "Data" tab and click on "Solver" in the "Analyze" section. Enter the cells containing the variables and the target cell for the solution, and click "Solve". Excel will use an algorithm to find the solution for your equation.

2. Can Excel solve any type of equation?

Excel's "Solver" tool can solve linear, polynomial, and nonlinear equations. However, it may not be able to solve every type of equation, particularly those with multiple solutions or complex mathematical functions. In those cases, it is best to use a more specialized solver or consult a mathematician.

3. Are there other solvers besides Excel that I can use?

Yes, there are many other solvers available besides Excel's "Solver" tool. Some popular options include Wolfram Mathematica, MATLAB, and Maple. These solvers may have more advanced features and capabilities for solving complex equations.

4. What are the benefits of using a solver to solve equations?

The main benefit of using a solver is its ability to quickly and accurately find solutions to complex equations. This can save time and effort compared to manually solving equations, especially when dealing with large datasets. Solvers also allow for the manipulation of variables and testing different scenarios to find the most optimal solution.

5. Can I use solvers to solve real-life problems?

Yes, solvers can be used to solve real-life problems in various fields such as economics, engineering, and science. By inputting real-world data into the solver, it can provide solutions that can inform decision-making or help optimize systems. However, it is important to understand the limitations of solvers and validate the results with other methods.