Solving for a unit speed curve given curvature and torsion (diff. geo)

In summary: Hope it helps.In summary, to find the unit speed curve alpha(s) with a given curvature k(s) and torsion tau defined as 0, one can use the Frenet-Serret equations. The curve is planar and can be denoted as a(s)=(x(s),y(s)). Using the fact that the curve has unit speed, we can assume that x'(s)=cos(f(s)) and y'(s)=sin(f(s)). Integrating these expressions and using the Frenet-Serret equations, we can find the function f(s) and thus obtain the curve alpha(s).
^_^physicist

Homework Statement

Find the unit speed curve alpha(s) with k(s)=1/(1+s^2) and tau defined as 0.

Homework Equations

Use the Frenet-Serret equations

K(s) is the curvature and tau is the torsion

T= tangent vector field (1st derivative of alpha vector)
N= Normal vector field (T'/k(s))
B= Binormal vector field (T x N)

K(s) is defined as the norm of T'

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok I wrote out the matrix for the Frenet-Serret and found the differential equations to solve:

T' = T/(1+s^2) *which implies => (alpha(s))'' = (alpha(s))'/(1+s^2)
N'= -N/(1+s^2) *which implies =>N' = -(alpha(s)''/(1+s^2)
B'=0

Which so far is really quite easy. But here is the kicker, when I try to solve the diff. eq's and go back and check my solutions, my k(s) value is not correct. I feel rather stupid for asking this, but I seem to have forgotten how to treat a systems of diff. eqs. Any thing to kick start my memory for solving this system would be great.

Thanks for any help in advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is a little tricky:

Since the curve is torsionless, then the curve is planar, so that one can think that it lies completely on the xy-plane.

So, you have to find a curve a(s)=(x(s),y(s)). The tangent vector then is a'(s)=(x'(s),y'(s)), and we have the condition that x'^2(s)+y'^2(s)=1, since it is unitary. Here we do the trick: Since the ways to chose x and y are infinite, we assume that they are the antiderivative of a cosine and a sine, with the same angle:

x(s)=int(cos(f(s)))+a
y(s)=int(sin(f(s)))+b

So, the unitary condition on the tangent vector is fulfilled. We need now to find our function f.
To do this, we differentiate the tangent vector and then we calculate the norm of the new vector. Using the chain rule, we obtain that f'(s)=k(s). So, f(s)=int(k(s))+c, and you can then go back to find the curve you're looking for.

sorry for opening this old thread but i have to find a curve with given curvature and zero torsion. I read the answer but i couldn't understand the trick to solve the differential system. Is there anybody who could be more precise? Thanks

Hi

You don't need to solve a differential sistem.

The fact that your curve has zero torsion means that it is planar, so that you can study it as a curve on the xy-plane. This means that you can denote it as a(s)=(x(s),y(s)). But your curve has unit speed, which means that ||a'(s)||^2=x'(s)^2+y'(s)^2=1. A natural assumption then is to set x'(s)=cos(f(s)) and y'(s)=sin(f(s)). Integrating these expressions we obtain

x(s)=int(cos(f(s)))+a,
y(s)=int(sin(f(s)))+b. (1)

Now, if we differentiate the tangent vector a'(s), we obtain a''(s)=f'(s)(-sin(f(s)),cos(f(s))) using the chain rule. We know that the curvature k(s) is defined as

k(s)n(s)=a''(s),

where n(s) is the normal vector. This yields f'(s)=k(s). Integrating again, we find that f(s)=int(k(s)). Once we obtain f(s), we substitute in (1) and hence obtain a(s).

What is a unit speed curve?

A unit speed curve is a curve that is parametrized by arc length, meaning that the speed at any point on the curve is equal to 1. This allows for easier calculations and comparisons between different curves.

How is curvature related to a unit speed curve?

Curvature is a measure of how much a curve deviates from being a straight line at a given point. For a unit speed curve, the curvature at any point is equal to the magnitude of the first derivative of the tangent vector with respect to arc length.

What is torsion in relation to a unit speed curve?

Torsion is a measure of how much a curve twists or turns as it moves through space. For a unit speed curve, torsion is equal to the magnitude of the second derivative of the tangent vector with respect to arc length.

How can I solve for a unit speed curve given curvature and torsion?

To solve for a unit speed curve given curvature and torsion, you can use the Frenet-Serret formulas, which relate the curvature, torsion, and tangent vector to the unit normal and binormal vectors. These formulas allow you to calculate the position vector of the curve at any point.

What are some real-world applications of solving for a unit speed curve given curvature and torsion?

Solving for a unit speed curve given curvature and torsion has applications in fields such as robotics, computer graphics, and medical imaging. It can be used to model and control the movement of objects or to analyze the shape of biological structures such as DNA molecules.