Fundamental Theorem of Space Curves

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence and uniqueness of solutions to the Frenet-Serret Equations, which can be determined by any choice of smooth functions for curvature and torsion. This is known as the fundamental theorem of curves and it states that these parameters are intrinsic and not dependent on a specific curve. One person prefers the simpler explanation from WolframAlpha, but is looking for further examples or diagrams to understand the practical applications of this theorem.
Applejacks
This is not a question I need to work out but I'm trying to understand this theorem.

My lecture notes state: 'This theorem states the existence of solutions to the Frenet - Serret Equations that, apart from the possibility of a rigid motion, are uniquely determined by any choice of smooth functions k > 0, and  torsion(s).'

WolframAlpha states: 'If two single-valued continuous functions kappa(s) (curvature) and tau(s) (torsion) are given for s>0, then there exists exactly one space curve, determined except for orientation and position in space (i.e., up to a Euclidean motion), where s is the arc length, kappa is the curvature, and tau is the torsion. '

I want to go by Wolframs explanation since it's simpler but does anyone have any examples or diagrams that can help me understand this further? I'm having trouble seeing the importance or practical uses of this theorem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fundamental theorem of curves is of great importance. She says that the curvature and torsion of a curve does not depend on the Cartesian benchmark defined curve. So, it says that the curvature and torsion are some intrinsic and objectively parameters of the curve.

Are you still interested in this theorem?

What is the Fundamental Theorem of Space Curves?

The Fundamental Theorem of Space Curves is a fundamental concept in the study of three-dimensional space curves. It states that every regular curve in three-dimensional space can be uniquely determined by the curvature and torsion functions along the curve.

What is a regular curve?

A regular curve is a curve that is smooth and does not have any sharp corners or cusps. This means that it can be represented by a continuous function and its first and second derivatives exist at every point along the curve.

What is curvature?

Curvature is a measure of how much a curve deviates from being a straight line. It is defined as the rate of change of the tangent vector with respect to arc length. The curvature function describes how the curvature of a curve changes as you move along the curve.

What is torsion?

Torsion is a measure of how much a curve twists in three-dimensional space. It is defined as the rate of change of the normal vector with respect to arc length. The torsion function describes how the torsion of a curve changes as you move along the curve.

How is the Fundamental Theorem of Space Curves used in practical applications?

The Fundamental Theorem of Space Curves has many practical applications in fields such as computer graphics, robotics, and physics. It is used to describe the motion of objects in three-dimensional space and to calculate the curvature and torsion of complex three-dimensional shapes. It also plays a crucial role in the study of differential geometry and calculus of variations.