Solving for Electric Field Strength

In summary, the problem involves an electric dipole made up of two 1.0 nC charges spaced 2.4 mm apart at the origin and oriented along the y-axis. The question asks for the electric field strength at two different points, (10 cm, 0 cm) and (0 cm, 10 cm). To find the electric field strength, we use the formula F = (kqd)/z^3, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge of the dipole, d is the distance between the charges, and z is the distance from the point to the dipole. For part a, the formula simplifies to [(9.0E9 Nm^2/C^
bikeeich

Homework Statement

An electric dipole is formed from
plusminus.gif
1.0 nC charges spaced 2.4 mm apart. The dipole is at the origin, oriented along they-axis. What is the electric field strength at the following points?
a. (x, y) = (10 cm, 0 cm)
b. (x, y) = (0 cm, 10 cm)

Homework Equations

Pythagorean Theorem a^2 + b^2 = C^2
F= (kq1q2)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for r^2 using the Pythagorean theorem and I got it to equal 0.01 m. Plugging r into the Force equation I got 900N. I think for part a I need to use vectors of the angle created between the x-axis and the hypotenuse (r) but I am not sure how to use that to get the electric field strength.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
F= (kq1q2)/r^2 is a formula for forces between point charges, and it does not take the direction into account.

Do you have a formula for the electric field of a dipole?
If not, do you have a formula for the force between two charges in vector form?

Is it E= (qd)/kz^3
if d = the distance between the charges and z is the distance I to the point I am solving for?

How did k go to the denominator (which needs brackets)? It is the right direction, but that formula needs more vectors to make sense.

So if the formula is F = (kqd)/z^3,
I plug in and get [(9.0E9 Nm^2/C^2)*(1.0E-9C)*(2.4E-3m)]/(0.01m)^3 = 21600 N/C
Is that all I have to do to solve for the x-axis values? and how does this equation relate to part b where both charges are no longer an equal distance to the point on they y-axis?

1. What is electric field strength?

Electric field strength is a measure of the intensity of an electric field at a particular point. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How do you calculate electric field strength?

Electric field strength can be calculated by dividing the force exerted on a charged particle by the magnitude of the charge. The formula is E = F/q, where E is the electric field strength, F is the force, and q is the charge.

3. What are the units of electric field strength?

Electric field strength is typically measured in newtons per coulomb (N/C) or volts per meter (V/m).

4. How does distance affect electric field strength?

The electric field strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field strength decreases.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving for electric field strength?

Electric field strength calculations are used in a variety of fields, including electrical engineering, physics, and chemistry. It is essential in understanding the behavior of electrically charged particles, such as in the design and functioning of electronic devices and power grids.