Solving for Velocity and Describing Motion of a Spring-Mass System

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
riseofphoenix
Messages
294
Reaction score
2
#7.
Number7.png


This is what i tried to do... but I got it wrong :( Please help

T ≈ 2π√(L/g)

1.31 = 2π√(L/9.81)
1.31/2π = √(L/9.81)
2.057 = √(L/9.81)
2.057² = L/9.81
4.2343 = L/9.81
4.2343(9.81) = L
41.54/1000 = L
0.0415 = L

"INCORRECT: Your response differs from the correct answer by more than 100%. "
 
Physics news on Phys.org
riseofphoenix said:
#7.
Number7.png


This is what i tried to do... but I got it wrong :( Please help

T ≈ 2π√(L/g)

1.31 = 2π√(L/9.81)
1.31/2π = √(L/9.81)
2.057 = √(L/9.81)
2.057² = L/9.81
4.2343 = L/9.81
4.2343(9.81) = L
41.54/1000 = L
0.0415 = L

"INCORRECT: Your response differs from the correct answer by more than 100%. "
One clue is the mention of the moment of inertia.

Another is that it's a physical pendulum.

Also,
Don't bump your thread until it's been here for 24 hours.​
 
SammyS said:
One clue is the mention of the moment of inertia.

Another is that it's a physical pendulum.

Also,
Don't bump your thread until it's been here for 24 hours.​

I =T2MgD/4π2
I = [(1.312)(0.246)(9.81)(18)]/39.478
I = 74.545/39.478
I = 1.8882

"INCORRECT"

-___-
AKFJDJFDAKLNDJK
 
riseofphoenix said:
I =T2MgD/4π2
I = [(1.312)(0.246)(9.81)(18)]/39.478
I = 74.545/39.478
I = 1.8882

"INCORRECT"

-___-
AKFJDJFDAKLNDJK
Convert centimeters to meters.
 
SammyS said:
Convert centimeters to meters.

Oh...

0.0188

"CORRECT"

-.- The day I graduate from Webassign...

Thank you...

What about this last one? I have no idea where to start/what equation to use.

#3. A 40.0-g object is attached to a horizontal spring with a force constant of 10.0 N/m and released from rest with an amplitude of 20.0 cm. What is the velocity of the object when it is halfway to the equilibrium position if the surface is frictionless?
m/s
 
riseofphoenix said:
Oh...

0.0188

"CORRECT"

-.- The day I graduate from Webassign...

Thank you...

What about this last one? I have no idea where to start/what equation to use.

#3. A 40.0-g object is attached to a horizontal spring with a force constant of 10.0 N/m and released from rest with an amplitude of 20.0 cm. What is the velocity of the object when it is halfway to the equilibrium position if the surface is frictionless?
m/s
Describe the motion of the object after being released.