1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving integral - gaussian distribution of cos

1. Sep 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have to prove:

∫(-infinity:infinity) cos(pi*v/2L)*e^-((L-L_av)^2/sqrt(2pi)*sigma^2) dL proportional to
    cos(pi*v/2L_av)*e^-(t/tau)^2

tau is some constant, and sigma << L_av.

3. The attempt at a solution

i can change the integral to 0:infinity, since sigma << L_av. Then i have to look up some integral solution, probably:

∫(0:infinity) cos(bx)*e^-ax^2 dx

I assume i have to do some trick like 1/L approximately L/L_av^2 - but how can i justify that?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2012 #2
    Can you use complex numbers? If so, you can rewrite your cosine in term of complex exponentials which will make things quite easy.

4. Sep 14, 2012 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is very unclear what your original problem is, because you do not use brackets. You have something written as L_av. Does this mean Lav or does it mean Lav? If you mean the first, write L_{av} or L_(av), and if you mean the second, either write a*L_v or (L_v)a. Better still, use the "X2" button in the menu above the input panel. Anyway, setting L_av = c, some constant, it is still not clear whether you mean
    [tex] \cos \left( \frac{\pi v}{2L} \right) \text{ or } \cos \left( \frac{\pi v}{2} L \right) [/tex] in the integrand. If you mean the first, write cos(pi*v/(2L)), but if you mean the latter, write cos((pi*v/2)L).

Similarly, when you write e^-ax^2, you are literally writing ##e^{-a} x^2## if we read it using standard rules and conventions. I guess you mean ##e^{-ax^2},## which is e^{-ax^2} or e^(-ax^2) in plain text, or better still, e-ax^2 or e-ax2, using the "X2" button in the menu at the top of the input panel.

RGV

5. Sep 15, 2012 #4
    Okay, I have to prove:

∫(-infinity:infinity) cos(pi*v/(2L))*e-((L-L_{av})^2/(2*sigma^2)) dL proportional to
    cos(pi*v/(2L_{av}))*e-(t/tau)^2

sigma << L_{av} - both positive

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook