1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration seems gaussian but the answer does not match

1. Nov 30, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

-h^2/2m (sqrt(2b/pi)) e^(-bx^2) d^2/dx^2 (e^(-bx^2)) dx from - to + infinity

2. Relevant equations
    I tried differentiating e^(-bx^2) twice and it came up weird , I positioned the values and finally cam up with (-2b sqrt(pi/2b)........is there any other way to do it ?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried with gaussian integration and my final answer is h^2b/m but it should be h^2b/2m... how am i missing the 1/2 factor?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is difficult to say where you are going wrong if you do not show us exactly what you did step by step.

4. Nov 30, 2014 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you mean that you came up with -2b sqrt(pi/2b) for the integral--that is, that
    [tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-bx^2} \frac{d^2}{dx^2} e^{-b x^2} \, dx =- 2b \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2b}},[/tex]
    then you are off by a factor or 2: you should have ##-b \sqrt{\pi/2b}##. You need to show your work in detail.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted