Solving Limits and Riemann Sums: Tips from Nemo

In summary, the community member needs to solve for the Riemann sum first, and then take the limit of the integral.
Nemo1
Hi Community,

I have the following question:
View attachment 5613

I have done basic solving of limits and also of Riemann sums but never had to do them in the same question.

Would I be correct in saying that I need to solve for the Riemann sum first then take the limit of the integral?

Cheers Nemo

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-22 at 4.32.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-22 at 4.32.23 PM.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 73
Physics news on Phys.org
Nemo said:
Hi Community,

I have the following question:I have done basic solving of limits and also of Riemann sums but never had to do them in the same question.

Would I be correct in saying that I need to solve for the Riemann sum first then take the limit of the integral?

Cheers Nemo

No, this entire expression, which is a Riemann Sum, represents a definite integral. You need to figure out what the definite integral is, and then solve the definite integral. You aren't trying to solve this by taking the sum.

So after, quite a few days of working thru this one. I think I have it.

\(\displaystyle \lim_{{n}\to{\infty}}\sum_{k=0}^{n-1}\sqrt{4+\frac{5k}{n}}\cdot\frac{5}{n}\)

Using the formula:

\(\displaystyle \int_{a}^{b} f(x)\,dx = \lim_{{n}\to{\infty}}\sum_{i=1}^{n}f(xi)\Delta x\)

Using:

\(\displaystyle \Delta x = \frac{b-a}{n} = \frac{5}{n}\)

\(\displaystyle xi = 4+\frac{5k}{n}\)

\(\displaystyle a = 4\)

\(\displaystyle b = 9$ $from$ $b - 4 = 5$ $solve$ $for$ $b = 9\)

To then get:

\(\displaystyle \lim_{{n}\to{\infty}}\sum_{k=0}^{n-1}\sqrt{{xi}}$ $\Delta x =\)\(\displaystyle \int_{4}^{9}\sqrt{{xi}} \,dx\)

\(\displaystyle \int \sqrt{x} \,dx\) $=$ \(\displaystyle \int {x^{\frac{1}{2}}} \,dx\)- Power Rule - \(\displaystyle \int x^a$ $dx = \frac{x^{a+1}}{a+1}$ $Where$ $a\ne 1\)

To then get:

\(\displaystyle x^{\frac{1}{2}}\,dx$ $=$ $\frac{x^{\frac{1}{2}+1}}{{\frac{1}{2}}+1}$ $=$ $\frac{2x^{\frac{3}{2}}}{3}+c\)

Using the FTOC.

\(\displaystyle F(b)=\frac{2\cdot9^{\frac{3}{2}}}{3}=18\) - \(\displaystyle F(a)=\frac{2\cdot4^{\frac{3}{2}}}{3}=\frac{16}{3}\)

To get:

\(\displaystyle \frac{38}{3}$ $\approx12.6667\)

Its been a bit of a long journey of learning but I got there.

Cheers Nemo.

1. What are limits and Riemann sums?

Limits and Riemann sums are mathematical concepts used to describe the behavior of a function as its input approaches a particular value. Limits are used to describe the value that a function approaches as its input gets closer and closer to a specified value. Riemann sums are a method for approximating the area under a curve by dividing it into smaller rectangles and adding up their areas.

2. Why are limits and Riemann sums important?

Limits and Riemann sums are important because they help us understand the behavior of functions and make predictions about their values. They are also essential in calculus, as they are used to define the derivative and integral of a function.

3. What are some tips for solving limits and Riemann sums?

Some tips for solving limits and Riemann sums include first understanding the definition and properties of limits and Riemann sums, using algebraic techniques to simplify the expressions, and carefully choosing the partition points in Riemann sums to get more accurate approximations. It is also helpful to practice and familiarize oneself with different types of problems.

4. How can I apply limits and Riemann sums in real life?

Limits and Riemann sums have various real-life applications, such as in economics, physics, and engineering. For example, they can be used to model and analyze the growth of populations, the movement of objects, and the optimization of systems.

5. Where can I find more resources for learning about limits and Riemann sums?

There are many online resources available for learning about limits and Riemann sums, such as video tutorials, interactive demonstrations, and practice problems. Your local library or bookstore may also have textbooks on calculus or other math topics that cover these concepts in detail.