1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving multivariable equation with integration

1. Mar 9, 2014 #1

gingermom

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

dy/dx = (1+x)/xy solve y(1) = -4

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution What threw me was the solve for if y(1) = -4

I grouped variables and then integrated both sides and solved for y.

(1/2)y^2 = ln|x|+x+c
    y=+- √2ln|x|+x+c

I then switched the x and y to get the inverse of the equation and set that equal to -4

-4=-+ √2ln1+1+c
    16= 2*(1+c)
    8-1=c
    7=c

However, I am not sure this was the correct approach. I could not figure out how to isolate x in the beginning, but I am not 100 percent sure of my logic of using the inverse, and whether I applied it appropriately. If this is way off base, can you point me in the correct direction? We have not had any problems quite like this and I am not sure I am making the correct leap in combining concepts.

Thanks.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2014 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Slight miscommunication here. Your second line should read:

##y= +- \sqrt{2ln|x| + 2x + 2c}##

Then ##y(1) = -4## would indeed imply ##c = 7##.

Then simply subbing ##c## into your solution from prior would be the last thing to do.

4. Mar 9, 2014 #3

gingermom

Gold Member

Thanks - Yes, sorry about that I had used parenthesis but they disappeared and I didn't notice. So using the inverse to find C was the right thing to do. Yeah, maybe I am getting this after all! I was so focused on finding C I forgot about putting it back in. Should have posted that part, too I guess. First time here. Will try and do better if ( I probably should say when) I need additional help. Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted