Solving non-homogeneous heat eq'n with fourier series

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
wakko101
Messages
61
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The heat eq'n is Ut -4Uxx = 2t - xsin(x)
Ux(0,t) = Ux(pi,t) = 0, U(x,0)=x^2+1

Homework Equations


Using separation of variables, in obtaining the eigenvalues/eigenfunctions of X''=-lambdaX, it would appear that you would need to use a cosine series basis and expand the equation. But it seems to me that the xsin(x) on the RHS of the equation is causing problems and I'm not sure how to proceed.

The Attempt at a Solution



If you expand the RHS as a cosine Fourier series, the coefficients would be given by int(0 to pi)(2t + xsin(x))cos(nx) dx. I'm stumped...any suggestions/hints would be appreciated.

Cheers. =)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's right:
[tex]\int_0^\pi (2t+ x sin(x)cos(nx))dx[/itex]<br /> (except for the normalizing factor in front)<br /> <br /> What is the problem? Of course, t is a constant here so the first part is just <br /> 2t = 2t cos(0x). the second part, <br /> [tex]\int_0^\pi x sin(x)cos(nx)dx[/tex]<br /> you should be able to do with integration by parts. Let u= x, dv= sin(x)cos(nx)dx.[/tex]
 
I had thought of that. I suppose I'm not sure how to go about integrating dv=sin(x)cos(nx).