Solving Problem 6c: Time Taken from A to B and B to C

• Thread starter chwala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the conversation discusses the correct calculation of time in Example 6, specifically in part c. One person suggests using the approach shown in the textbook, while the other person's approach does not take into account the swimmer's speed in still water compared to the speed in the moving river. The correct approach is to find the vertical distance and use trigonometric concepts to calculate the time. The conversation ends with the understanding that the right angle triangle and trigonometric concepts are key in finding the correct time.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
see attached.
Relevant Equations
Relative Velocity
My interest is only on Example 6; part c only, see the problem below and the solution from textbook.

1637907448203.png

is the time calculated correctly? I thought we need to use the approach shown below; my thoughts, but of course i may be missing something here, The time taken from points ##A## to ##B## is the same as the time taken from point ##B## to ##C##, i used the thinking of resultant distance divide by resultant velocity.

1637907705360.png

Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
is the time calculated correctly?
The time shown in Ex. 6 looks fine to me.

chwala said:
I thought we need to use the approach shown below; my thoughts, but of course i may be missing something here,
Your approach doesn't seem to be correct. The major difference between your work and the work shown in the example is that you don't seem to be taking into account the swimmer's speed in still water vs. the swimmer's speed in the moving river. The worked example does take this difference into account.

chwala said:
The time taken from points A to B is the same as the time taken from point B to C, i used the thinking of resultant distance divide by resultant velocity.
Again, you are not taking into account that the water in the river is moving, and in so doing is making the swimmer's speed greater than it would be if he were swimming in a lake (where the water is not moving).

Likes chwala
Mark44 said:
The time shown in Ex. 6 looks fine to me.

Your approach doesn't seem to be correct. The major difference between your work and the work shown in the example is that you don't seem to be taking into account the swimmer's speed in still water vs. the swimmer's speed in the moving river. The worked example does take this difference into account.

Again, you are not taking into account that the water in the river is moving, and in so doing is making the swimmer's speed greater than it would be if he were swimming in a lake (where the water is not moving).
I considered the speeds in still water and moving water, ...that's how we ended up with resultant velocity being equal to ##1.32##m/s. You can see that i attempted to use it on my last part of my working i.e in finding;
##time##= ##\frac {distance}{resultant velocity}##.

On a different note, I can see that the resultant velocity was broken down into the two components, maybe the only thing that i need to understand is why they divided by sine...of course a quick guess is that sine takes into account the perpendiculor distance of the river bank (i.e the 20m).

Last edited:
Aaaargh Mark. I nailed it man!

On looking at the same problem, i was able to use a different approach to realize the desired result. That is;
1637912559623.png

I understand my approach better. One just needs to find the distance ##BC## as indicated on my sketch diagram. Bingo guys:cool:

Last edited:
The easiest approach for the time is to note that the vertical (on the diagram) component of velocity comes only from the swimmer's velocity in still water. Since the vertical distance is 20 m, the time is
$$t = \frac{\Delta y}{v_y} = \frac{20.0~\rm m}{(1~{\rm m/s})\sin 60^\circ} = 23~\rm s.$$

Likes chwala
vela said:
The easiest approach for the time is to note that the vertical (on the diagram) component of velocity comes only from the swimmer's velocity in still water. Since the vertical distance is 20 m, the time is
$$t = \frac{\Delta y}{v_y} = \frac{20.0~\rm m}{(1~{\rm m/s})\sin 60^\circ} = 23~\rm s.$$
I get it now...thanks...you made it clear, thanks to you and Mark, what i can see is that we may use the right angle triangle for the swimmer's velocity in still water i.e in using the right angle triangle and trig. concepts knowledge we get,

##t##= ##\frac {20}{1 × sin 60}## = ##\frac {20}{ 1.32 ×sin 41} = 23.09## seconds ≈ ## 23## seconds

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate the time taken from A to B and B to C?

The time taken from A to B and B to C can be calculated by adding the time taken from A to B and B to C separately. This can be done by measuring the distance between A and B, and then dividing it by the speed at which the object is traveling. The same process can be repeated for the distance between B and C. Finally, the two times can be added together to get the total time taken.

2. What factors affect the time taken from A to B and B to C?

The time taken from A to B and B to C can be affected by various factors such as the distance between the two points, the speed at which the object is traveling, the mode of transportation, traffic conditions, and any obstacles or detours along the way.

3. How can you improve the time taken from A to B and B to C?

The time taken from A to B and B to C can be improved by finding the most efficient route, using faster modes of transportation, avoiding peak traffic hours, and minimizing any delays or obstacles along the way. It is also important to plan and prepare ahead of time to ensure a smooth and timely journey.

4. What are some common challenges when solving Problem 6c?

Some common challenges when solving Problem 6c include accurately measuring the distance between A and B and B and C, determining the speed at which the object is traveling, and accounting for any external factors that may affect the time taken. It is also important to consider any potential errors or uncertainties in the calculations.

5. How can the time taken from A to B and B to C be applied in real-life situations?

The time taken from A to B and B to C can be applied in various real-life situations such as planning a trip or commute, estimating delivery times, scheduling appointments or meetings, and optimizing logistics and transportation routes. It can also be used in scientific experiments and studies that involve measuring the time taken for an object to travel between two points.