Solving Rational Inequalities: A Simplified Approach

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for solving rational inequalities. The speaker prefers to transform rational inequalities into polynomial inequalities by multiplying both sides by a positive value to get rid of the denominator. They also mention their dislike for the method shown in the video, which involves using multiple number lines. The speaker provides examples and explains their preferred method in detail. They also note the importance of excluding certain values from the solution set.
wiiyogi
I wanted help on solving Solving Rational Inequalities. I watched this video and i was wondering if that was the best or easiest way. Our teacher taught us a much harder and weirder way using multiple number lines instead of one. If you do watch the video the man shows examples with open dots, what if the dots are closed? I have an idea but I am not sure

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Personally I don't like the method he uses. Generally, I like to transform rational inequalities into polynomial inequalities. I do this by multiplying by multiplying both sides by some positive value (which preserves the direction of the inequality sign) that will get rid of the denominator, and solve the resulting polynomial inequality.

Ill address some of the examples of the video to make this clear; his first example is :

[tex]\frac{3x}{x-4} \leq 8[/tex]. To get rid of the denominator, I multiply by (x-4)^2 (make not here that we already know x=4 can not be a solution) to give [tex] 3x(x-4) \leq 8(x-4)^2[/tex]. Taking all terms to one side, [tex]8(x-4)^2 - 3x(x-4) \geq 0[/tex]. And now by factoring, [tex](x-4)(5x-32) \geq 0[/tex]. Now this last inequality is easy. We could do it by dividing the real line into 3 sections and testing points as done in the video, but I prefer to quickly imagine the graph of the parabola to see when it is greater or equal to zero. Or draw it out if you are uncertain. Doing this gives [tex]x \geq 4, x\leq 32/5[/tex], but since x = 4 can't be a solution, its just Doing this gives [tex]x > 4, x\leq 32/5[/tex].

The next one is [tex] \frac{2x}{x-5} < \frac{7x}{x-4}[/tex]. To get rid of the denominators, and to preserve the sign, multiply by (x-4)^2(x-5)^2. Don't expand anything, its all easier if its factored. Take everything to one side and pull out common factors to get [tex]x(x-5)(x-4) \left( 2(x-4) - 7(x-5) \right) < 0[/tex]. Now simplify that last term, and we have the factored form of a polynomial. This makes it very easy to sketch as you know the x intercepts. Using this sketch we can see the values of x which satisfy the inequality. Just remember at the end to exclude x=4 and x=5 form the solution.

The last one: [tex] \frac{5}{x} - \frac{6}{x^2} \geq 0[/tex]. This ones easy, multipling by x^2 gets rid of denominators and preserves the sign, so that it becomes [tex]5x-6 \geq 0[/tex]. Remember to exclude x=0 from the solution set.

Well. Thats the method I like best.

Related to Solving Rational Inequalities: A Simplified Approach

What are rational inequalities?

Rational inequalities are inequalities that involve rational expressions, which are expressions in the form of a fraction with polynomials in the numerator and denominator. They can include variables and are solved by finding the values of the variables that make the inequality true.

How do I solve rational inequalities?

To solve a rational inequality, you first need to get all the terms on one side of the inequality and simplify the expression as much as possible. Then, find the critical values by setting the numerator and denominator of the rational expression equal to zero and solving for the variable. Use these critical values to create intervals on a number line and test a value in each interval to see if it satisfies the original inequality. The intervals with satisfied values are part of the solution set.

What is the difference between solving rational inequalities and solving regular inequalities?

The main difference between solving rational inequalities and solving regular inequalities is that the solutions for rational inequalities can include non-integer values, while solutions for regular inequalities are typically only integers. Additionally, the process for solving rational inequalities involves finding critical values and testing intervals on a number line, while regular inequalities can often be solved by simple algebraic manipulations.

What are some common mistakes when solving rational inequalities?

Some common mistakes when solving rational inequalities include forgetting to check for extraneous solutions, not simplifying the expression enough, and incorrectly setting up the intervals on the number line. It is important to double check the solution set and make sure it satisfies the original inequality.

How can solving rational inequalities be applied in real life?

Rational inequalities can be used to solve real life problems involving rates, proportions, and optimization. For example, they can be used to determine the optimal amount of resources to use in a production process, or to calculate the rate at which a population is growing or decreasing. They are also used in finance to determine the best investment options based on interest rates and returns.