1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving Schrodinger equation in two dimensions

1. Oct 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve the time independent Schrodinger equation for an electron in a 2-D potential well having dimensions Lx and Ly in the x and y directions respectively.

2. Relevant equations

d^2Y/dx^2 + d^2Y/dy^2 + 2m/h^2*EY = 0

3. The attempt at a solution

Y(x) = A exp(jkx) + B exp(-jkx)

I'm not even sure that is correct as a starting point, as that is what is given for the example in the book for the Schrodinger equation in one dimension, not two dimensions.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is this for a finite well or an infinite well?

4. Oct 14, 2009 #3
    Infinite potential well.

5. Oct 14, 2009 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Okay, so for [itex]|x|\leq L_x[/itex] and [itex]|y|\leq L_y[/itex] the schroedinger equation reduces to:

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}+\frac{\partial^2}{\partial y^2}+\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}\right)\Psi(x,y)=0[/tex]

right?

Now use separation of variables; assume that [itex]\Psi(x,y)=X(x)Y(y)[/itex]....what do you get when you plug that into Schroedinger's equation?

6. Oct 14, 2009 #5
    I forgot how to do separation of variables. How do you do that part?

7. Oct 14, 2009 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You assume the wavefunction is separable (i.e. assume [itex]\Psi(x,y)=X(x)Y(y)[/itex])....substitute that into the Schrodinger equation and simplify....what do you get?

8. Oct 14, 2009 #7
    I get d^2Y/dx^2 + d^2Y/dy^2 + 2m/h^2*EX(x)Y(y) = 0

But doesn't the substitution also have to be done for the second derivatives? How would that be done?

9. Oct 14, 2009 #8

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, you don't get that. And yes, the second derivatives act on [itex]\psi(x,y)=X(x)Y(y)[/itex]

10. Oct 14, 2009 #9
    When you plug in for each of the second derivatives, do you treat the other variable as a constant?

11. Oct 14, 2009 #10

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You tell me, how does one usually take the partial derivative of a multivariable function?

12. Oct 14, 2009 #11
    I googled it and found out that for multivariable partial derivatives the other variables are held constant.

So is this the answer?

Y(y)X(x)'' + X(x)Y(y)'' + 2m/h^2*E*X(x)Y(y) = 0

13. Oct 14, 2009 #12

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.:approve:

Now, what do you get when you divide both sides of the equation by [itex]X(x)Y(y)[/itex]?

14. Oct 14, 2009 #13
    X(x)''/X(x) + Y(y)''/Y(y) + 2m/h^2*E = 0

15. Oct 14, 2009 #14

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right, now look carefully at that equation...what variable(s) is the quantity X''(x)/X(x) a function of ? What variable(s) is the quantity Y''(y)/Y(y) a function of? Under what conditions can the add together to get a constant value of [itex]\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}[/itex]?

16. Oct 14, 2009 #15
    X''(x)/X(x) is a function of x and Y''(y)/Y(y) is a function of y.

Are you asking when

X(x)''/X(x) + Y(y)''/Y(y) + 2m/h^2*E = 0

will be equal to 2m/h^2*E = 0 ?

If that's the case, then it will happen either when both X(x)''/X(x) and Y(y)''/Y(y) are equal to 0, or when X(x)''/X(x) = -Y(y)''/Y(y).

17. Oct 14, 2009 #16

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right, and 'x' and 'y' are independent variables, right?

No, I'm asking when X(x)''/X(x) + Y(y)''/Y(y) can equal -2m/h^2*E? How can a function of 'x' added to a function of 'y' result in a constant?

18. Oct 14, 2009 #17
    Yes, x and y are independent. A function of x and a function of y added together will result in a constant when the variables cancel each other out or become 0.

19. Oct 14, 2009 #18

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, the variables can't cancel eachother out, since they are independent.

What if both functions are constants?

20. Oct 14, 2009 #19
    If both functions are constant, then adding them together would result in a constant, but I don't see how they can be constants since they have variables in them.

21. Oct 14, 2009 #20

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you telling me that you don't consider f(x)=1 to be a function of x? But you do consider f(x)=0 to be a function of x?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook