1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving Simultaneous Equations

1. Jul 15, 2012 #1
    I need help solving these two equations simultaneously

[itex] y = c_1e^{r_1t_o}+c_2e^{r_2t_o}[/itex]

[itex]y' = c_1r_1e^{r_1t_o}+c_2r_2e^{r_2t_o}[/itex] My plan of solving these two equations is by substitution. By rearranging I obtain the following:

[itex]c_1 = [y-c_2e^{r_2t_o}]e^{-r_1t_o}[/itex]
    [itex]c_1= \frac{[y' -c_2r_2e^{r_2t_o}]e^{-r_1t_o}}{r_1}[/itex]

Likewise,

[itex]c_2=[y-C_1e^{r_1t_o}]e^{-r_2t_o}[/itex]
    [itex]c_2=\frac{[y'-c_1r_1e^{r_1e^r_1t_o}]e^{-r_2t_o}}{r_2}[/itex]

Don't know what to do from here. :confused:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2012 #2
    Sorry, I don't see how these are two simultaneous equations. It's just the one equation you have for y and then you have its derivative with respect to t0 below it...

4. Jul 15, 2012 #3
    No, I am are trying to simultaneously solve from equations y & y' for c_1 & c_2. [/I]

5. Jul 15, 2012 #4
    ah right, you want c1 and c2 in terms of y and y'

So like multiply the first equation by r2 and subtract them, then you'll get c1. Do the same thing but multiply the first equation by r1 instead and subtract them and you'll get c2 :)

6. Jul 16, 2012 #5
    Edit: Fixing Mistake

Okay so I get

[itex]c_1 = \frac{[y'-yr_2]}{r_2-r_1}e^{-r_1t_o}[/itex]

The book gets the same answer but with r_1-r_2 in the denominator. Any ideas why? As long as I subtract the first equation from the second, I will always get r_2-r_1.

P.s. I'll solve the other half after I grab some food.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  7. Jul 16, 2012 #6
    You may wanna double check your algebra, the book is right...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook