Solving this ODE for an initial value problem

In summary, the given equation is not separable and a change of variables is needed. By letting u=v+x and substituting it into the original equation, we get du/dx = (v^3+u)/x. From this, it can be seen that du/dx is equal to 1 in terms of v. Substituting this back into the equation, we get (v^3+u)/x = 1. Further steps are needed to solve for u in terms of just x.
dchau503

Homework Statement

[tex] x \frac{du}{dx} \ = \ (u-x)^3 + u[/tex]

solve for u(x) and use [tex] u(1) \ = \ 10[/tex] to solve for u without a constant.

Homework Equations

The given hint is to let [itex]v=u-x[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This equation is not separable and the book wants me to make it separable by a change of variables, i.e.

[tex] u=v+x \ \ \text{and in replacing the original equation with the hint, I get} \frac{du}{dx} = \frac{v^3+u}{x} [/tex].

From [tex]u=v+x, \ \text{I also know that} \frac{du}{dx} \ \text{is also equal to 1, so} \frac{v^3+u}{x} = 1 [/tex]

But this gets rid of all the differentials and I need guidance on how to solve for u in terms of just x.

Physics news on Phys.org
dchau503 said:

Homework Statement

[tex] x \frac{du}{dx} \ = \ (u-x)^3 + u[/tex]

solve for u(x) and use [tex] u(1) \ = \ 10[/tex] to solve for u without a constant.

Homework Equations

The given hint is to let [itex]v=u-x[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This equation is not separable and the book wants me to make it separable by a change of variables, i.e.

[tex] u=v+x \ \ \text{and in replacing the original equation with the hint, I get} \frac{du}{dx} = \frac{v^3+u}{x} [/tex].

If ##u=v+x##, what is ##\frac {du}{dx}## in terms of ##v##? Also substitute for that ##u## that is left and show us what you get.

What is an initial value problem (IVP)?

An initial value problem is a type of differential equation that involves finding a function that satisfies a given equation and also satisfies a set of specified initial conditions, usually at a single point. These initial conditions can be thought of as the starting point for the function.

What is an ordinary differential equation (ODE)?

An ordinary differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. These equations are used to describe how a system changes over time, and can be solved to find the function that best fits the given conditions.

What is the process for solving an ODE for an IVP?

The process for solving an ODE for an IVP involves first identifying the type of differential equation and then using specific techniques, such as separation of variables, substitution, or integration, to solve for the unknown function. The initial conditions are then used to determine the specific solution that satisfies the equation and the given conditions.

What are the common methods for solving ODEs for IVPs?

Some common methods for solving ODEs for IVPs include the Euler method, Runge-Kutta methods, and the finite difference method. These methods use numerical approximations to solve the differential equation and can be applied to a wide range of problems.

What are the applications of solving ODEs for IVPs?

Solving ODEs for IVPs has many applications in the fields of physics, engineering, and biology. These equations can be used to model and predict the behavior of systems such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. They are also essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of physical systems in the natural world.