1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some a questions in Metric Spaces

1. Apr 17, 2008 #1
    Hii
    my Dears....

I'm new student in the Math & I'm so bad in the English Language..
    But, I want to learn this language ...

to excuse me ...

I have some a questions about Metric Spaces ..

Q1:If (X,d) is a metric spaces . Prove the fallwing:

1* ld(x,y)-d(z,y)l [tex]\leq[/tex] d(x,y)+d(y,w).
    2* ld(x,z)-d(y,z)l [tex]\leq[/tex] d(x,y). ..??

Q2:Prove that:
    Xn ـــــــــ> X iff [tex]\forall[/tex] V (neighborhood of X) [tex]\exists[/tex] n0 is number s.t Xn[tex]\in[/tex]V [tex]\forall[/tex]n>n0....??

Q3: If (X1,d1) & (X2,d2) is a metrics spaces, Prove that X=X1xX2 () is a metric spaces whith a metric defind by: d(x,y)=d1(x1,y1)+d2(x2,y2) s.t x1,y1[tex]\in[/tex]X1..??

Q4:Prove that every Cauchy sequence in a metric space (X, d) is bounded...??

I need to help by speed..
    Thanx ...

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Using what basic definitions, postulates, etc.?

What is your definition of "Xn ـــــــــ>X"?

Show that the conditions for a metric space are satisfied- in other words what is the definition of "metric space".

If {xn} is a Cauchy sequence, then there exist N such that if both m, n> N, d(xn, xm)< 1. Let M= largest of d(xn,xm) for n and m [itex]\le[/itex] N+1. Can you prove that d(xn,xm)[itex]\le[/itex] M+ 1 for all m and n.

I need to help by speed..
    Thanx ...[/QUOTE]

In mathematics, definitions are working definitions. You use the specific words of definitions in proofs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?