Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some doubts in attaching images

1. Aug 18, 2011 #1
    Dear Sirs,
    This has been an excellent forum which hones my physics knowledge through dedicated members who have been tireless and meticulous in their efforts. At the outset i express my thanks for that.
    When i try to attach the same image in more than one thread, it is not accepted. Why? Sometimes, i may need to post the same image in different thread to get response for some other query. Even if i rename the image, Physicsforums is not accepting. Help in this regard will be greatly appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2011 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

If you upload the attachment to an image hosting service, you can post it in multiple threads/forums. Perhaps Greg can answer the question as to why there is a restriction on uploading files directly to PF. I've wondered that myself.

4. Aug 18, 2011 #3

Borek

attachment.php?attachmentid=38100&d=1313694043.gif

5. Aug 18, 2011 #4

berkeman

Didn't seem to post right in your test, Borek...

6. Aug 18, 2011 #5

Borek

Here is the story: if your attachment is on the server (attached to different post in different thread), you can use it in your other posts, just like any external image (using [noparse][/noparse] tags). Two caveats: when you original post is deleted, attachment is removed, when someone is not logged, he can't see the image.

Could be there is more to it, as I see different behavior in Chrome and in Opera - but this can be cache related.

Edit: Berkeman quoted older version of my post, one which used attachment that was deleted, that's why image is not visible in his quote. Surprisingly, I can still see it in Opera - obviously it is in my cache. For unrelated reasons I am not going to clear the cache now.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  7. Aug 18, 2011 #6

Mark44

Ah, so that's the difference between a bug and a feature! I always wondered about that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook